Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #1
Pangolyn
Enthusiast
Pangolyn began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700
Talking Broken Sony PRS-700 Exchanged for $29!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I dropped my PRS-700 and it appeared to be fine except that the shiny plastic edge popped out. I popped it back in and it was fine. The next day the screen's glass substrate had a crack in it, making the unit unreadable. Since it was clearly my fault that it broke I thought there was no chance of getting it exchanged. I only had it for three months and was heartbroken that my $400 was thrown away. I read on these forums about people having horrible experiences with Sony service--not one single good story, so I didn't have much hope.

I bought it from SonyStyle. I found a section of the site that said they would send me a loaner unit for $99 while they repaired or exchanged my unit. However, after calling them (I called three different times to make sure) they said that it would, at most, cost me $99 to have the device repaired or exchanged. I was in shock, especially since one person on this forum said Sony quoted them over $100 just to replace the leather cover. If the problem was a manufacturer defect then it would only cost $29. That includes shipping both ways.

I told them that it was totally my fault and that I dropped it. They said it wouldn't be a problem, just an out-of-warranty exchange for $99. I even asked that if I ran over it with a car and then threw it in the pool it would still only be $99 and they said yes (all three calls).

I shipped it in and got a refurbished unit in less than two weeks. The invoice in the box said they only charged me $29. I called and verified that everything was finished and that $29 was the total cost.

I have read more and more people on this forum that have screens that have cracked for no apparent reason. I am sure mine cracked because I dropped it, but it didn't actually break until the next day, so maybe it was something else in the case that actually caused the crack, and it was just set loose by the fall. Either way, I am overjoyed that I got my $400 unit replaced with a perfect-looking refurbished unit for only $29 including shipping both ways. I don't know if it was just because I bought it at SonyStyle but I will definitely relate this story to anyone that will listen that is considering an ebook reader (future flamers, I know it's not officially an ebook reader, but everyone knows what I mean, like calling a tissue a Kleenex).
Pangolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangolyn View Post

I told them that it was totally my fault and that I dropped it.
why?...lol even if they had me on film i would deny deny deny; like the Shaggy song.."It wasn't me!"

happy that everything turned out better that what you expected!!
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #3
Pangolyn
Enthusiast

They would have seen the huge dent in the metal from the fall. I didn't want to send it in if it was going to cost me $300 to fix.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
that's GREAT news, now, if you can set up a service where you can call on behalf of everyone else here whenever there is a problem with our readers, you can make a fair amount of money.

also where is this loaner unit part of the site. because I know with my luck I would need to quote it to get it. I would love to fix my dust problem, but don't want to be weeks without my reader

Last edited by Andybaby; 05-06-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #5
Pangolyn
Enthusiast

I started here: http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do and entered in PRS700 and my zip code. That took me to a page with this quote:

Based upon the purchase date you entered, your unit is no longer covered under warranty. The charge for this exchange is $99.00 (plus applicable taxes).
Sony will ship to you the same or comparable Sony Factory Reconditioned model at no charge.

I called Sony instead of filling out the form online to make sure I wasn't going to have to pay $99 just to find out that they won't repair it. The date was within warranty, but I knew the repair wouldn't be under warranty so I left the date blank.
Advert
Old 05-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #6
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
ahh I see, that is good, and new, they didn't used to do that.

I think ill be calling sony this next week and see what happens.

I do have the 2 year acidental protection warrenty. so I should be covered, and this new policy is great
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:58 PM   #7
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
Really glad that this worked for you !!!! I remember seeing this last fall,when my PRS05 broke (Cracked screen),I thought it was great and was ready to go-I called them...and that's when I got the not so great news...I was even fine for the $99 -but when they told me how much they'd charge....well...I eventually got my 700-and this time made sure to get the extra accidental protection warranty.But good to know for the other 505's in the household-just in case....
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This is awesome. It's great to know that if I break my 505, can get a refurb for $99.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, cracked, exchanged, prs-700, refurbished