Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
kweller
kweller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
PRC to Sony: How good is the conversion?

First post here so I'll start by saying "Hi".

I was sure this question must have been asked but I've been searching and wading through pages of results and haven't found the answer. If the answer is already here please feel free to point me to the relevant thread.

Background first. SWMBO and I both have 2nd Edition Iliad readers and very nice devices they are too. Trouble is they are relatively large x2 and when the USB charger and mains adapter are added take quite a bit of space in the motorcycle panniers so we'd like something smaller.

After wading through lots of review web sites we decided we'd either go for the Sony PRS-505 or Cybook Gen 3. The Sony is more robust which makes it better suited to being thrown into m/cycle luggage but the Cybook is lighter which makes it easier to carry. We have a reasonable library of Mobipocket eBooks (PRC format) and once I realised the Sony wouldn't read them our decision was made. Then I discovered Calibre...

So, after the long preamble I get to the question, how good is Calibre's conversion from PRC to a Sony compatible format? Are things lost or will I struggle to see the difference between reading a file in PRC format and one converted for the Sony by Calibre?

Thanks.

Kevin

Last edited by kweller; 03-26-2009 at 01:46 PM.
kweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
If you use the PRC-EPUB-LRF path, the conversion is much better than a direct PRC-LRF.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Calibre has a viewer which closely resembles how it would look on a 6" device. Take a Mobi file and convert to LRF then view through Calibre to see if the output is acceptable.

There may be others who have already tried this.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kweller View Post
Background first. SWMBO and I . . .
What does SWMBO mean? Just goes to show both my age and my lack of familiarity with the shorthand used today.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
BikinOn
BikinOn began at the beginning.

Device: REB1100, Sony 505 & 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
What does SWMBO mean? Just goes to show both my age and my lack of familiarity with the shorthand used today.
'She Who Must Be Obeyed' - see John Mortimer's 'Rumpole of the Bailey'
BikinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
kweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
If you use the PRC-EPUB-LRF path, the conversion is much better than a direct PRC-LRF.
(An ignoramus asks...) Why would I go to LRF if EPUB works?

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
kweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Calibre has a viewer which closely resembles how it would look on a 6" device. Take a Mobi file and convert to LRF then view through Calibre to see if the output is acceptable.
Thanks. I converted a PRC file to EPUB (which seemed to be the default when I requested Sony format) then compared them side by side. Using the Calibre viewer I couldn't see any difference at all.

If that's representative of what we'll see on the device that means the Sony is back on the table. Thanks (I think! ).

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
kweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
I see your question has been answered but this page lists more abbreviations than you probably ever wanted to know about.

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
(An ignoramus asks...) Why would I go to LRF if EPUB works?

Kevin
You asked about prc to Sony. Sony format is LRF.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Actually the questions was asking about a Sony compatible format. Epub is compatible with all except the original PRS-500 models. You are correct in that the Sony proprietary format is LRF, but you do not have to use this as both the PRS-505 and PRS-700 support ePub as well..
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
The Sony is more robust which makes it better suited to being thrown into m/cycle luggage but the Cybook is lighter which makes it easier to carry.
Hmm - I'm not sure that I'd trust the Sony to be more robust in those sort of terms... The display in both is effectively a thin piece of glass, so either would really need to be carefully packed to ensure that nothing could press on the screen, so I'd not view that a reason to buy one over the other...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
If you got a Kindle then your MOBI/PRC books work without conversion... unless they have DRM. But I assume you're stripping DRM off anyway if you want them to work on a new device.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
kweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Hmm - I'm not sure that I'd trust the Sony to be more robust in those sort of terms... The display in both is effectively a thin piece of glass, so either would really need to be carefully packed to ensure that nothing could press on the screen, so I'd not view that a reason to buy one over the other...
The Iliad is the same and has travelled thousands of miles on the bike without mishap. It's not screen impact I'm concerned about, it's flexing of the case which could lead to the screen cracking.

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
kweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
If you got a Kindle then your MOBI/PRC books work without conversion... unless they have DRM. But I assume you're stripping DRM off anyway if you want them to work on a new device.
I live in the UK so there are no Kindles available but you're correct, I'm not concerned about DRM.

Kevin
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I live in the UK so there are no Kindles available but you're correct, I'm not concerned about DRM.
Well, there are ways of getting the Kindle to the UK and you'll still be able to use it; just not the wireless downloads.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote