Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Seeking two books in reader form

I really need to find Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (next book club book at college) and Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. I found Water at Sony store, but I have Jetbook, and frankly Sony wanted a stupid amount for an e-file. I don't care about paying, I just refuse to pay as much as you would for a hard copy, that's kinda defeating the purpose.

As for Forever Amber, I find it really hard to believe this one hasn't been converted!! Its a classic!!
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, Jaie, Amazon has it for the Kindle at $8.37 here. There are also other options listed, such as audio, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Water-for-Elep...6737603&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Looks like 'Water' is only in ebook form at Amazon and at Sony. The other doesn't appear to be available period.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Jaie
Connoisseur

Sadly, at Amazon I see no other format other than Kindle. I hate audio books so that is out. I did check up there first but since I've got a Jetbook, that Kindle format does me very little good.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Looks like 'Water' is only in ebook form at Amazon and at Sony. The other doesn't appear to be available period.
Argh. Forever is a HUGE book so I suppose I shouldn't be shocked it hasn't been transcribed yet. I am kinda annoyed that Water is only in two stores though. I was hoping my Google-Fu had not failed me.
Advert
Old 03-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could try contacting the publishers to find out if there are ebooks and we're just not finding them, but I checked all the usual shops.

Water is done by Alongquin (Workman) http://www.workman.com/algonquin/

Forever is done by Chicago Review Press http://www.chicagoreviewpress.com/

With Water it may be a case of a smaller publisher taking the easy route. I think Sony and Amazon will do some of the grunt work to get the ebook made just to get it into their stores.

With Forever I don't know if that publisher does ebooks at all.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Kathleen Winsor, the author of Forever Amber, died in 2003. So her books are almost certainly still in copyright everywhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Winsor

So it is not in the public domain. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a legal ebook for sale. It is a great pity that publishers neglect the opportunity to sell ebook versions of their backlists.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
It is a great pity that publishers neglect the opportunity to sell ebook versions of their backlists.
It is, but things do seem to be getting better.

Also I think some of them are unsure about putting the time/money into creating an ebook edition. The ebook market is showing great growth, but it's still pretty small overall. It does seem that when some publishers need to do the work to do a new printing of a book that that's the time they also put the extra into putting out an e-edition too.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #9
Jaie
Connoisseur

I kind of figured. I'd done that route myself and checked the publishers along with about 50 other ebook sites, I even checked the latest torrents and nothing. Well, there's anothe rmillion out there waiting to be read I suppose but I did really want those.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
It is, but things do seem to be getting better.

Also I think some of them are unsure about putting the time/money into creating an ebook edition. The ebook market is showing great growth, but it's still pretty small overall. It does seem that when some publishers need to do the work to do a new printing of a book that that's the time they also put the extra into putting out an e-edition too.
This seems really shortsighted to me although I get it. But then these authors can't figure out why their books are now being downloaded illegally all over. In this day and age, authors really need to just accept the world of technology and encourage the idea of smaller formats and lower prices.

I do agree, its still a small market, but its an old market really. Even before dedicated readers books were read online. Seems stupidly shortsighted in a lot of cases.

In the case of Amber, its even worse to me. We're talking a 1,000 page book that really SHOULD be in a e-format. The thing is stupidly huge and e-format would save about 7" of shelf space.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
In the case of Amber, its even worse to me. We're talking a 1,000 page book that really SHOULD be in a e-format. The thing is stupidly huge and e-format would save about 7" of shelf space.
Yep, it'd make sense. You'd think the smaller pubs would try and take advantage of all their options to survive and jump into a 'new' market with gusto, but the opposite seems to usually be the case.

The thing with 'Water' is that you can get it for Kindle or Sony, you can get it on the Darknet, but you can't buy a copy from any ebook retailer like FW or BoB. So some of the folks that want it and would have bought it will instead download the pirated version (not saying it's right) and no one gets paid.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:04 AM   #12
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
So some of the folks that want it and would have bought it will instead download the pirated version (not saying it's right) and no one gets paid.
You hit it right on the head. I want to give authors their money. I really truly do. And when I'm forced to go and get a pirated whatever I feel dirty. But I'm also angry because now, because short of buying a physical book that I don't want, only need for a month, I've got to find another way. Miserable really.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Actually, there may be another way to get the books. Try your local library to see if they have them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 AM   #14
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
I really need to find Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (next book club book at college) and Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor. I found Water at Sony store, but I have Jetbook, and frankly Sony wanted a stupid amount for an e-file. I don't care about paying, I just refuse to pay as much as you would for a hard copy, that's kinda defeating the purpose.

As for Forever Amber, I find it really hard to believe this one hasn't been converted!! Its a classic!!
I agree completely.

My Mom had it, and I read it when I was about ten years of age (didn't understand most of it, but would have read a telephone book if I got my hands on one).

Would also like to see the "Falco" series by Lindsey Davies in an e-book series.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote