Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Why I Prefer Sony 505 Over Kindle 2

Frankly, I do most of my reading on my 24" LDC Monitor of my PC. I use the Sony 505 to supplement that reading.

For some reason Amazon restricts their books to only being read on their Kindle 2 device. I cannot figure out why they do not supply a PC reader for Kindle books.

However, that being the case, I stick with Sony. If Amazon ever does provide a PC reader for use with their Kindle books, I may switch to them.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you're doing most of your reading on a PC monitor, why have an eink ebook reader at all? You could use use MobiPocket Reader, Calibre, Adobe Digital Editions or Stanza on you desktop and read to your hearts content. For the times you're away from your computer, you could buy a much less expensive LCD reader (iPod, Jetbook...) and have the same back light experience.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
For some reason Amazon restricts their books to only being read on their Kindle 2 device. I cannot figure out why they do not supply a PC reader for Kindle books.

However, that being the case, I stick with Sony. If Amazon ever does provide a PC reader for use with their Kindle books, I may switch to them.
Can you read your books bought at the Sony store on your PC?
Old 03-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Yes you can as long as you still have Sony's ebook library software still on your computer and your downloaded books you purchased through the Sony store. I had bought a series of Woman's Murder Club shortly before I decided to sell my 505 in order to fund my purchase of the K2. I still had unread Sony drm books on my computer so I just open the Sony Reader and read them on the computer screen. To find your Sony E-reader on Windows, look for the Sony folder in your program files and you will find the Sony Reader there.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-01-2009 at 11:57 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Frankly, I do most of my reading on my 24" LDC Monitor of my PC. I use the Sony 505 to supplement that reading.

Why do you have Kindle listed as your Device?
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
Yes you can as long as you still have Sony's ebook library software still on your computer ...
As long as you have Sony's ebook library software running under Windows ...
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Reading on a PC

Quote:
Yes, I can read my books on my PC using Sony eLibrary software and also read them on my Sony 505 Reader.

I usually only read on my PC but, when waiting in offices, I read on my Sony 505 Reader. I can keep the pages in sync and just start from one where I left off on the other.

For the life of me, I cannot explain why Amazon does not offer the same option. It is almost certain I would switch to Kindle if they offered PC software to complement their hardware.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Yes, I can read my books on my PC using Sony eLibrary software and also read them on my Sony 505 Reader.

I usually only read on my PC but, when waiting in offices, I read on my Sony 505 Reader. I can keep the pages in sync and just start from one where I left off on the other.

For the life of me, I cannot explain why Amazon does not offer the same option. It is almost certain I would switch to Kindle if they offered PC software to complement their hardware.
Pure spec, but since Amazon talked about the sync being between Kindles OR any other devices, I assume this is coming in the future.
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
kirwoodd
kirwoodd doesn't litterkirwoodd doesn't litter

Device: kindle 2
Remove the DRM (fair use) and read it in mobipocket.

I actually walk away from my monitor and grab my kindle to read, I stare at the monitor all day, its nice to switch to the kindle.
kirwoodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirwoodd View Post
Remove the DRM (fair use) and read it in mobipocket.

I actually walk away from my monitor and grab my kindle to read, I stare at the monitor all day, its nice to switch to the kindle.
Kirwoodd, I was about to suggest the same thing. It's stupid that you can't open the Amazon book on the Mobipocket software; if you can send book to your computer, you should be able to open it there. All the drm formats has some type of software, so you can read the book on your computer.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Kirwoodd, I was about to suggest the same thing. It's stupid that you can't open the Amazon book on the Mobipocket software; if you can send book to your computer, you should be able to open it there. All the drm formats has some type of software, so you can read the book on your computer.
This is the idea that keeps gnawing at me. If Amazon owns the company Mobipocket then why haven't they allowed the Kindle to handle Mobi DRM files? And why can't Kindle files be read in Mobi's desktop software? It just don't add up.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
This is the idea that keeps gnawing at me. If Amazon owns the company Mobipocket then why haven't they allowed the Kindle to handle Mobi DRM files? And why can't Kindle files be read in Mobi's desktop software? It just don't add up.
My guess ('cause I don't know) is that when Amazon bought the company, some kind of legal thing was set up to allow MobiPocket to continue to exist and sell product (maybe for a few years, maybe forever). In order for that to work, they have to operate in a way that keeps them separate (at least for the general population).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Honestly, the thought of reading a book on a computer screen is appalling. It's Kindle or nothing.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #14
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
The only reason I would be reading a book on a computer screen is if I had absolutely nothing else productive to do at work but for whatever reason had to stay glued to my desk/monitor.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
This question has been asked many times on this forum. Some fell because they want to sell more kindles. Some feel it is because there is some rule about mobipocket not discounting books so dealers can and since Amazon owns mobipocket those dealers would consider they were being undercut.

Me, I think they do it so we will all ponder this question in forums.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote