Notices

Old 05-28-2024, 08:50 PM   #1
Lee3
Enthusiast
Lee3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Recommendations of custom elipse 2e reader vs default

I see many people mentioning Koreader and calibre

What main gains do they provide than just leaving the default kobo reader?
Lee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:24 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
KOReader replaces the stock reading engine (Nickel) and has its own UI and features. Calibre is PC software that people use to manage and edit their e-book collections.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2024, 09:30 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I use KOReader occasionally for PDF files. For ePubs, I find Kobo's renderers work well enough for me. If/when KOReader gets a better metadata search, I may reconsider this decision.

Now calibre? That is a must have software for me. When I first started collecting ebooks, I kept them in a directory structure. Once I had more than ~200 ebooks, trying to use a directory structure ended up with me spending more time modifying the directory structure to allow easily finding a book than actually reading. Then I found calibre. Copy your files into it's library, edit the metadata, covers, etc. and find books based on almost any searchable field including the Full Text Search on every indexable book in your library. calibre and a Kobo ereader go together extremely well including the capability of backing up your device databases and configuration on connecting to calibre. Sheesh... I'm sounding like a fundamentalist...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2024, 09:52 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I'm with DNSB on both KOReader and Calibre.

I find that heavily patched default reader is basically perfect for my needs. I've tried KOReader; it has thousands of different customization options, but I don't need most of them, as I edit my ebooks in Calibre before loading them on my Kobos. And KOReader has only a file browser, no library manager, so I couldn't sort and find my books easily there. The default reader takes the metadata from Calibre - everything, including series info and collections, is transferred automatically over when I connect my Kobo to Calibre. This makes it very easy to find anything I'm looking for on my Kobo.

From what I've read here, most ardent supporters of KOReader don't edit the formatting of their ebooks and want the reading app to do it instead. That's certainly where KOReader shines. Those who edit their books themselves usually find that KOReader is overkill for them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 12:12 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It's funny. I don't edit my books and I'm content with both of the Kobo supplied reading apps!

The only hacks I have are nickelclock and nickelmenu. I might possibly reinstall UnCaged at some point.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2024, 01:27 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It's funny. I don't edit my books and I'm content with both of the Kobo supplied reading apps!
And you're not the only one, of course. I just meant that several members who I know to edit their books seem to be satisfied with the default app as well. And many who prefer KOReader have stated that their reason for using it is specifically its ability to override the publisher's css.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:05 AM   #7
fogice
Groupie
fogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of lightfogice is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The default reader takes the metadata from Calibre - everything, including series info and collections, is transferred automatically over when I connect my Kobo to Calibre. This makes it very easy to find anything I'm looking for on my Kobo.
This is the main reason I switched from Kindle to Kobo, and why I won't even try Koreader.
fogice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2024, 10:22 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I used KOReader for PDFs till Kobo added cropping that worked with page turns.
It's horrible to browse for titles as it doesn't really use metadata but files.
Also I fix any ebooks with annoying issues so don't need the CSS/HTML overrides.

Calibre though is indispensable. Wonderful.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote