Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
michaelmiller
michaelmiller began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader 505, 600, BeBook
My biggest gripe with PDF ebooks

I have quite a few DRM pdf ebooks and i think my biggest gripe with them is that any resizing makes the file easier to read but harder to comprehend.

This is most obvious (to me anyway) in pages with dialogue between multiple characters. Instead of every characters speech beginning on a new line, everything runs together making it impossible sometimes to figure out who has actually said what.

If this can be fixed in an update it will make my reader one of the best buys I've made. Sometimes it frustrates the life out of me with its formatting, but when I get a totally readable file (epub) of a good book I don't regret buying it for one minute. Just a pity the UK source of ebooks is pretty poor compared to that of the US.
michaelmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Comprehending dialogue would also be my biggest complaint reading pdfs on my Sony. I can deal with the other reflow issues. I do read a lot of books from my local library.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I agree that it can be very difficult to "follow" dialogue with reflowed PDF. You almost have to look for opening/closing quotation marks when you read, which is very inconvenient. I don't mind the occasional page with just a few words on it, but the dialogue mangling is definitely a problem.

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote