Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-16-2023, 04:23 PM   #1
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Accessing Calibre Database in WSL

Perhaps I am dreaming, but I need to access my Calibre database that is on a Linux ext4 drive, from a Windoze 11 dual-boot setup. This is not via a network, but it is acting like it.

My setup:

- Dualboot Linux Mint 21 & W11 on two separate hard drives
- Running WSL2 on W11, with my Calibre drive (ext4) mounted and all files accessible
- Calibre 6.24 installed on W11 & the Linux drive.

Note: The mounted Linux drives, while mounted for use in WSL, are accessible in the normal W11 File Explorer where I can browse, edit files, etc, so thought they should be available to Calibre as well.

But when I attempt to add an existing library to Calibre, it hiccups with the same 'database is locked' error when attempting this on a networked drive:
Quote:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 890, in library_moved
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 195, in __init__
File "calibre\db\legacy.py", line 50, in create_backend
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 470, in __init__
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1319, in user_version
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 1027, in conn
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 343, in __init__
File "calibre\db\backend.py", line 400, in execute
apsw.BusyError: BusyError: database is locked
The point of course is to use the master database while in W11, where duplicating the database (its pretty big) is not practical every time I dualboot over to W11.

I have seen some network access solutions that simply add some extra commands to the mount parameters in fstab, but with WSL, there are no fstab contents...the mounting is done in the Windows system somehow.

Any hope for a solution or is it just a problem that isn't a network problem that thinks it is a network problem?

Thanks,

Monty

Last edited by MontyJ; 08-16-2023 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Clarify
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 10:07 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If I were you I'd run the linux version of calibre in WSL and use the content server to access your library via a browser in windows. THe main limitation is the browser wont be able to send books to USB connected devices
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
MontyJ
Addict
MontyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If I were you I'd run the linux version of calibre in WSL and use the content server to access your library via a browser in windows. THe main limitation is the browser wont be able to send books to USB connected devices
@KovidGoval,

Thank you! It isn't as straight forward as I hoped, but I'll take it

I will post on how that goes.

Monty
MontyJ is offline   Reply With Quote