Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2023, 10:15 AM   #1
psychogator
psychogator began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Help with Import / Export

I'm having trouble with the import function. I'm transferring from and old computer to a new one. Just updated the old computer to the latest version then did an export. The new computer got a fresh install. When a try to use the import feature I get the following message.

calibre, version 6.14.1

ERROR: Not valid: The folder C:\Users\scott\Downloads\Calibre Backup is not valid: The last part of this exported data set is missing

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "calibre\gui2\dialogs\exim.py", line 263, in select_import_folder

File "calibre\utils\exim.py", line 273, in __init__

ValueError: The last part of this exported data set is missing

Any ideas what I should try.
psychogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:21 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That indicates one of the files from your exported data folder is missing. If you are having trouble using it, you can alway manually transfer the data as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
psychogator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That indicates one of the files from your exported data folder is missing. If you are having trouble using it, you can alway manually transfer the data as described here: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ter-to-another
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll look into that other way. Just was hoping for a seamless start on the new machine. In the mean time any idea what would cause the file to be missing or how I can correct this. I just did a straight export from my old machine and directly import to the new one.

The only things I can think might cause issue are as follows.

1. I just upgraded from version 4. whatever to the latest version but I did that on the old machine before the export and everything seems to be working well on the old machine. No problems adding books or drm issues.

2. Because of the size of the files I had to upload them to google drive then download them to the new machine. I don't have a portable drive big enough to straight transfer. And to download it had to zip them.
Old 04-06-2023, 11:55 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Google Drive and Calibre don't mix (Library files) well. It does things to files sometimes to manage versions.

In your case, you had a Spanned Archive (that is what Export really is) and it messed up one or more chunks of the set.

USB PEN DRIVE or SD card is a good way to sneakernet ( and it can serve as a backup if tucked away afterwards).

Does the old computer still work?? There are other ways to move Huge chunks of data.

USB transfer Cables,
USB drive caddy/clone kits (used to just to attach the drive, not clone) but those require the old system drive be removed.
BluTooth File Transfer (if both system do BT )
File transfer over a Windows Share (OK, but not for an active Calibre session. Timing is too sloppy for that)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 05:13 PM   #5
psychogator

Using a thumb drive worked like a charm. Didn't know google messed with the file in a way that would effect it, so I guess I learn something new everyday. The only reason I didn't try it before was I couldn't find my drive and I was itching to get Calibre working. First thing I installed on the new system.
Advert
Old 04-06-2023, 06:26 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Google, Apple and Amazon are in a race to see who can mess with the most things that us mere mortals would rather they left alone.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote