Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
book_addict
book_addict began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Teething Problems with new Cybook?

I have just bought the Cybook Gen 3 recently and I love it but I was wondering if the problems I have are specific to my cybook or a general teething problems everyone has.

1) The cybook has frozen a few times and reset has only fixed the problem once. In general to fix the freeze, I connected the cybook to my laptop and got it recognised as a drive and then when I disconnected it from my laptop and started it up again.

I checked the About menu and if I'm looking in the right place (under the heading "boo reader" for some reason) then the version is 1.2 (build 820), so I assume I have the latest firmware?

2) I have had some books already uploaded on the cybook when I received it but when I try to open some of them it says "Error while opening this document: title.prc". I have been unable to open the books even on my laptop. So I'm not sure why that's the case but is there anyway of opening these books up or have they been corrupted beyond saving?

3) Each time I start up the cybook it asks me to choose a language. How can I permanently set the language to English. I find it slightly irritating that I have to select the language each time I start it up.
book_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by book_addict View Post
I have just bought the Cybook Gen 3 recently and I love it but I was wondering if the problems I have are specific to my cybook or a general teething problems everyone has.

1) The cybook has frozen a few times and reset has only fixed the problem once. In general to fix the freeze, I connected the cybook to my laptop and got it recognised as a drive and then when I disconnected it from my laptop and started it up again.

I checked the About menu and if I'm looking in the right place (under the heading "boo reader" for some reason) then the version is 1.2 (build 820), so I assume I have the latest firmware?

2) I have had some books already uploaded on the cybook when I received it but when I try to open some of them it says "Error while opening this document: title.prc". I have been unable to open the books even on my laptop. So I'm not sure why that's the case but is there anyway of opening these books up or have they been corrupted beyond saving?

3) Each time I start up the cybook it asks me to choose a language. How can I permanently set the language to English. I find it slightly irritating that I have to select the language each time I start it up.
Oh oh...... that doesn't sound good.
Those things should NOT happen.

Sounds like corrupt memory to me. Maybe you could do a check-disc on the cybooks memory? Are you sure you use the ' safely remove hardware'-buton all the time while disconnecting form your laptop?
The cybook should have no trouble at all in remembering it's language, if you can't fix it with all the help you can find here on this forum, you should really have it repaired.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
What SW version are you using? I had trouble with one of the previous versions.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
book_addict
book_addict began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Slayda: Could you explain what SW? Still new to this, thanks.

ErwinOtten: Yes, I use the "safely remove hardware" button to remove the cybook each time I want to disconnect it from my laptop. How could I check the disk to see if it's corrupted or not?
book_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:

ErwinOtten: Yes, I use the "safely remove hardware" button to remove the cybook each time I want to disconnect it from my laptop. How could I check the disk to see if it's corrupted or not?
The Cybooks native SW. You can find the build number when you have the library page open bring up library menu (second button from the top of the row of 4 buttons, select "Advanced" from that menu & then select "About". The second item down is "Boo Reader" showing "Version:1.2 (Build 796)". At least that is my version/build.

I believe that's the latest version/build. Hope this helps.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 AM   #6
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:

How you can check the disk depends on the system your laptop is running on. When it's vista or another windows-clone you can right-click on the start-button and choose explore. Your cybook should be seen as an external drive then (D: E: F: or something, depending on your other drives in your laptop).
Right-click on the cybook-drive, choose properties and choose error-checking in the tools-tab.

Good-luck.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #7
sw122683
sw122683 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
At least you can restart after you connect it to the laptop!!
Just now I found mine is frozen and no response no matter I reset or connect it to the laptop. When I press the on/off button, the light flashes several times.
I even took out the battery, but it is still displaying the page and no response!!

Anyone can help?
sw122683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw122683 View Post
When I press the on/off button, the light flashes several times.
When I turn on my device the green light is on and it goes off when the image with three circles appear.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote