Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-12-2023, 04:33 AM   #1
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Label length in Edit Metadata screen

I just updated Calibre to version 6 (was running 4). I managed to get most of the layout looking kind of the same as I was used to (and liked), except for one thing. The metadata columns on the Edit Metadata screen. The labels are way too short, especially on my custom metadata columns. A label like "...ra Formats" or "...o location" are not helpful at all... How can I make those labels longer? Searching for editing the editing metadata screen only returns results on how to edit the metadata...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:04 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I just updated Calibre to version 6 (was running 4). I managed to get most of the layout looking kind of the same as I was used to (and liked), except for one thing. The metadata columns on the Edit Metadata screen. The labels are way too short, especially on my custom metadata columns. A label like "...ra Formats" or "...o location" are not helpful at all... How can I make those labels longer? Searching for editing the editing metadata screen only returns results on how to edit the metadata...
Preferences / Look & feel / Edit metadata
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	200276  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2023, 06:40 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I did check that, but as it didn't seem to do anything, I had no idea what it did... I also have never heard of the term "elide", so that didn't give a clue either...

Edit: that first checkbox really doesn't seem to do anything, nor the dropdown below it (if I understand the meaning of that "elide" correctly), but at least the length is now updated...

Last edited by Sweetpea; 03-12-2023 at 06:42 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 06:43 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did check that, but as it didn't seem to do anything, I had no idea what it did... I also have never heard of the term "elide", so that didn't give a clue either...
Did you change the values in the label length boxes?

"Elide" means to shorten a string using ellipses (...). If this box isn't checked then labels will be word wrapped to fit in the number of characters in the label length boxes.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:20 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Edit: that first checkbox really doesn't seem to do anything, nor the dropdown below it (if I understand the meaning of that "elide" correctly), but at least the length is now updated...
Here are some examples of the effects of the Elide checkbox and the elision point box under it.

Edit Metadata Single with the Elide box unchecked. The labels are wordwrapped.

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	200278

With the Elide box checked and the point set to Left. The label isn't wordwrapped and the ellipsis is on the left. The "series" label fits without elision so is unchanged.

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	200279

With the Elide box checked and the point set to Middle.

Name:	Clipboard06.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	200282

With the Elide box checked and the point set to Right.

Name:	Clipboard05.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	200281

My preference: set the width so most labels will fit. Elide the "too long" ones on the right.

Also note that the tool tip for a label shows it in its entirety, even if elided.
Advert