Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2023, 10:45 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Libby on New Kobos?

Has anyone heard anything implying that Kobo use the Libby app to interface with Overdrive on any newer devices (or, while I'm wishing, perhaps on older ones)? I assume there must be some reason Libby isn't already on these (processor power or screen slowness?). But, it sure would be nice to directly interface with my Libby-using library instead of fighting Kobo and Overdrive.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:48 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo does not use Libby.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2023, 01:55 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Kobo does not use Libby.
but u can check out a book in libby, then sync your kobo and it will show up ( if both have the same library card settings)

i have been doing that. using a large tablet for libby to colour browse library

so there's no need for libby to run on kobo directly

anyway- kobo software is linux? libby comes in android or IOS flavours only. u cant even run it on a PC

google tells me that it wont work for audiobooks though, so if I bought an expensive new sage, there's no way to add a library audiobook loan to it if borrowed thru libby i.e. thru overdrive.
that's crap, given that Ratuken own Overdrive. you'd think they'd make their own products work with watch other
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:18 AM   #4
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

given that Ratuken own Overdrive.

You're behind the times

https://company.overdrive.com/2020/0...-of-overdrive/
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:23 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
whoops. i knew that back in 2020 !
then forgot it

anyway, i did much googling on overdrive audiobook support for the newest kobos ( the ones that can do kobo's own audiobooks ). and NADA

despite the KKR ownership thing, it is still the case that books checked out in libby overdrive are actually fulfilled from kobo store, so i don't get why they can't / won't use same pipeline for audiobook loans.

and i wont spend £lots on a kobo with "audiobook support" that does not actually support audiobooks from any other source

back to thread title - the book reader rendering in Libby is rubbish on a side by side compare with Kobo's own reader display and options, so why would you want that ? Libby is only useful as a book borrowing app, IMHO

Last edited by stumped; 01-16-2023 at 02:26 AM.
Advert
Old 01-16-2023, 10:06 AM   #6
boomboxnation
boomboxnation began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Isn't Libby just the more friendly face of Overdrive? And I would think that Kobo having previously owned it would make them still friendly.
boomboxnation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:29 AM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yes, AFAIK, Libby and Overdrive share the same back end and Libby's just the prettier face. But, even though our Library's Libby interface is supposed to seamlessly connect to Overdrive on our Formas, it doesn't necessarily do so. Firstly, we can't see our actual library bookshelves. Essentially, all we can do is browse/search books and check them out. Second, quite often, the library will tell use we have a book available to check out and our Forma's won't let us do it (I'm luckier in this regard than is my wife). I assume that's caused by a difference between the library's ISBN and Kobo's.

And, I never thought of the Kobo = Linux, Libby /= Linux issue. Ugh. That certainly seems to be the death of that option.
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboxnation View Post
Isn't Libby just the more friendly face of Overdrive? And I would think that Kobo having previously owned it would make them still friendly.
Friendlier and more secure. Audiobook MP3 are now inaccessible, unlike with overdrive.

And it handles multiple libraries well, unlike kobo devices.