Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2023, 12:49 PM   #1
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Clara 2E backlight

I have had the Clara 2E during last 2 weeks. The screen is nice but comparing it to my Kobo Nia or the Libra2 is less white, more yellowish. And also, as well as the Kobo Nia, light bleeding can be perceived on the bottom part of the screen. Had anyone had the chance to compare it as well with other Kobo devices?

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:26 PM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I have multiple Kobo e-readers. The screens are different on all of them. My Clara 2e is more yellow than say my Forma but tbh each e-reader is different. It’s if the screen colour works for you that matters.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2023, 03:57 PM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I have a Clara HD and a 2E. The 2E screen is noticeably better looking. Also, my HD has a slight light bleed in the bottom right corner.

Devices are different, even comparing two copies of the same device.

In general though, the Carta 1200 screen is an improvement over the Carta.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-04-2023 at 04:01 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The back light is never ever going to work.

The front light will work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:50 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Jon, do you work hard a finding less polite ways of informing someone that eInk screen use a back light not a front light?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Jon, do you work hard a finding less polite ways of informing someone that eInk screen use a back light not a front light?
It is not the first time I write back light and someone lectures me ironically in this forum.

In any case, I have a Sage, a Libra2, a Nia and now a Clara 2E and if just one thing is true is how beautiful the Bookerly font looks on all of the devices. Simply awesome.

Last edited by jospalau; 01-03-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 06:13 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
It is not the first time I write back light and someone lectures me ironically in this forum.

In any case, I have a Sage, a Libra2, a Nia and now a Clara 2E and if just one thing is true is how beautiful the Bookerly font looks on all of the devices. Simply awesome.

I use Bookerly on all my Kobo's too
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 06:38 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I use Bookerly on all my Kobo's too
I have it on my Kobos, but I've never used it. I just don't like it, no matter how I adjust the font settings, and I've tried. The same story when I still read on Kindles. Everyone sang praises to Bookerly, but I could never read with it. Too wide and, I don't know, chubby for my taste. Perhaps one must use larger font sizes than I do to get the most out of Bookerly. Anyway, I prefer a bit narrower fonts.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 07:44 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bookerly is a terrible font to use if you are reading KePub. I've tried it. Just awful. It's better when reading ePub, but still not good. At best, Bookerly is meh!

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-03-2023 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:09 PM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bookerly is a terrible font to use if you are reading KePub. I've tried it. Just awful. It's on when reading ePub.
I don't like it with epubs either. Better, but still not to my taste.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 03:57 AM   #11
jospalau
Groupie

Quote:
Bookerly is a terrible font to use if you are reading KePub. I've tried it. Just awful. It's better when reading ePub, but still not good. At best, Bookerly is meh!
Nah, Bookerly and Capita best fonts ever. They look really crisp with the reader back light.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:58 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Nah, Bookerly and Capita best fonts ever. They look really crisp with the reader back light.

It's front light. eInk cannot use back lighting as the screen will not allow light to shine through.

As for slab serif fonts, meh!
Old 01-04-2023, 04:03 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
It's front light. eInk cannot use back lighting as the screen will not allow light to shine through.
Have you ever not taken the bait?
Old 01-04-2023, 04:05 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
...if just one thing is true is how beautiful the Bookerly font looks on all of the devices. Simply awesome.
I do like Bookerly. Amazon did a good job there. But in the end, I always go back to Literata Book. That has been my favorite reader font for years.
Old 01-04-2023, 04:21 PM   #15
sheri2022
sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sheri2022 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, Hisense A9
I had the same issues with Bookerly on Clara and Forma, didn't like it at all switched to Georgia and Noto serif until I discovered this beautiful font someone mentioned here Aleo, wow what a beauty.
sheri2022 is offline   Reply With Quote