Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-26-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
Pam R
Connoisseur
Pam R began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Adobe Digital Editions

May be missing something here but many people seem to have problems with this App which Adobe don't do much to help.

So, can a person dispense with this altogether? Could they just download an epub file onto their laptop without an epub app on it (where it wouldn't open), then connect their ereader to their laptop and drag and drop the file onto the reader where it would open? fr Also could they email the epub file from laptop to phone to their phone to open it in a epub app there?

Would this work?
Pam R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Yes...in most cases.

If you have any software that may be needed to side load onto the reader from your laptop then it should work. ePub is a self contained file which should have everything a reader/app needs to read it...the fact that your laptop or email can't open it should have no bearing.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2022, 06:03 PM   #3
Pam R
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Yes...in most cases.

If you have any software that may be needed to side load onto the reader from your laptop then it should work. ePub is a self contained file which should have everything a reader/app needs to read it...the fact that your laptop or email can't open it should have no bearing.
Thanks very much for your reply. I thought that would probably be the case, but am not tech savvy enough to be sure.
Old 10-26-2022, 06:18 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam R View Post
May be missing something here but many people seem to have problems with this App which Adobe don't do much to help.

So, can a person dispense with this altogether? Could they just download an epub file onto their laptop without an epub app on it (where it wouldn't open), then connect their ereader to their laptop and drag and drop the file onto the reader where it would open? fr Also could they email the epub file from laptop to phone to their phone to open it in a epub app there?

Would this work?
There is a plugin for Calibre that will replace the need for ADE.

[FileType Plugin] ACSM input plugin
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 07:30 PM   #5
Pam R
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a plugin for Calibre that will replace the need for ADE.

[FileType Plugin] ACSM input plugin

Thanks to you too. I thought of something after I started the thread

I have a decrepit (as in falling apart) laptop which has ADE on which I don't use. Thought it best to deauthorise ADE because of device limits. I did that and uninstalled the app. I then downloaded a random book to that laptop. Of course, it wouldn't open but I emailed it to myself and was able to open it on both my phone and my new laptop.

So thanks again to both of you but I seem to have confirmed your thought and answered my own question!

But perhaps it will help others who have had problems opening ADE which is pretty common I believe.
Advert
Old 10-29-2022, 05:24 AM   #6
Sunlite
Addict
Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sunlite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KObo Clara, Kobo Aura, PRS-T1, PB602, CyBook Gen3
Just for your information: If you get books that conain Adobes DRM you will need a version of ADE. Shops selling those books will not let you download an epub file. They will give you an acsm file, whick is only a recepie to get the real book from an Adobe server.

The Calibre plugin can come handy in that situation.
Sunlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 06:08 AM   #7
Pam R
Connoisseur

Thanks Sunlite