Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
The new iPads (yawn)

Well, pretty boring updates.

The iPad gets the new design and most of the features of its M1/2 based siblings, except that inexplicably, it still uses Pencil 1. And it comes with a price hike? The Air looks like the better deal.

The new 11" iPad Pro still lacks mini-LED. No reason to upgrade from a M1 iPad Pro that I can see. But that's sort of good news for me, I would not want to suddenly be disappointed with the iPad Pro 12.9 I bought six months ago.

Meanwhile my iPhone 14 Pro Max arrived yesterday, and I've been unsuccessful in migrating my cellular service to it, and worse, my previous phone is deactivated and I'm unable to re-activate it. They say it's 'top priority' but it's been six hours since the case was created without a solution, and coming up on 24 hours that I've been without phone service. Maybe it's a problem when migrating from physical SIM activation to eSIM, as in my case. In past I could just move the card over, but the new iPhone 14s don't have a slot. It took about an hour just to get someone to Chat with so it appears I'm not alone in having this issue. (thanks for listening)

Last edited by tomsem; 10-21-2022 at 08:09 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 09:24 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Yep, a whole lot of meh for their new line of incremental, lackluster and overhyped devices. Typical Apple over the past few years.

I was hoping for a meaningful update to the ATV 4K but we basically got more unneeded RAM, lost a ethernet port in the cheaper model, and no fan so it will likely overheat. It has a faster processor, but those incremental improvements won’t help much with streaming video, only with gaming, and the ATV 4K is not what people should get for gaming anyway. And HDR10+ is used by almost no one. A lot of smoke and mirrors to keep the Apple juicers happy, but no real improvement on streaming IMO. I ordered the new Fire TV Cube 3rd gen instead as more and more tvOS apps keep breaking with every darn update. On Fire TVs they simply work, and you can get HDR on YouTube videos too, unlike the ATV 4K.

I’ve got the iPhone 13 Pro Max so I wasn’t interested in updating, but the 14 really looks like another incremental update. Apple acts like the camera is so great, but those tiny little POS cameras are garbage unless you just want to post crap on Instagram or another service. Physics prevents tiny sensors from gathering enough light for true low light shooting. Again it is smoke and mirrors; just cleaver BS marketing.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2022, 04:54 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm waiting until the iPhone 15 comes out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least they didn't try to build an Event around these minor updates.

I'm somewhat interested in the ATV update, though it is not clear I have any need for more storage or speed.

We recently purchased a 4K FireTV in a pre-Prime Day promotion, but only connect it to internet to get updates. It works well with ATV in the drivers's seat, and sound gets routed through HomePods (the big ones), so was able to eliminate the old surround system and can finally use the AppleTV remote to turn everything on and off. We have not had any issues with tvOS apps breaking on either of our current ATVs (2nd and 3rd gen). Easy to pair Apple/Beats headsets, etc.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-22-2022 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:47 AM   #5
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I personally love the new yellow and hot pink iPad. Hell, I want it for the color alone. All ipads are the same to me so upgrade in specs mean nothing to me. I never notice it so its not a big deal that the changes are small.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2022, 09:48 AM   #6
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm waiting until the iPhone 15 comes out.
I am keeping my 13. I love my pink color and i doubt they will get another pink out plus its gonna take forever to pay the thing off I might as well keep it.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I am keeping my 13. I love my pink color and i doubt they will get another pink out plus its gonna take forever to pay the thing off I might as well keep it.
I'm using an iPhone SE 2020. I might replace the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
I need a new mini. My Mini 4 has been hinky for a while, the first iDevice I've ever had to act up. It's fine for just browsing and some game apps. But it's slow to load the apps, and if I try to watch a video in a small screen, everything else gets herky jerky. Resetting it didn't do a thing.

So I guess I don't "need" one, but would love a new one. We bought iPhones in the spring, a 13 for hubby, 13 pro for me. My watch is a 3, so a new one there would be nice. Why won't they design a watch with a landscape shape? My wrists are freakishly small, so the larger faces look funny on me. I'd love to see a watch wider on my arm and not so tall.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 06:23 AM   #9
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I wouldn’t mind having an M processor iPad Pro. I have the previous model. Just checked and they’d give me 330 bucks for this one. Something to think about.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 10:46 AM   #10
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
I'm getting the M2 12.9 inch to replace my ipad gen 6 device, which is slow enough now that I can't listen to music and do anything else at the same time. I've been a bit amused at all the reviewers complaining that the changes are too incremental to bother upgrading the 2021 M1 ipad pro...that sounds like a good thing to me. The leap for me will be quite pleasant.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:25 PM   #11
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The mini price dropped on Amazon, hubby told me to order it. It will be here tomorrow.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:37 PM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm using an iPhone SE 2020. I might replace the battery.
Me too. I’ve been through a 12 mini ( cannot get 5G and signal was otherwise too weak) and an 11 pro (nice phone but too big and heavy) and have gone back to the 2020 SE. Should never have sold the first one.

However, I do need a new iPad. I have the Air 3 and its been gradually deteriorating. First, it was the big white spot an inch above the home button and since then another spot is beginning above that… then from time to time (and rather too freuqenly) the screen simply refuses to respond to pokes and prods. It's not entirely useless but given that I am planning to move to iPad full time… its no good to me anymore. The only decision to make is… iPad 10 or Air.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-26-2022 at 04:42 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 04:48 PM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
The mini price dropped on Amazon, hubby told me to order it. It will be here tomorrow.
It's great, even if you are updating from mini 5 (as I did). Enjoy!
Old 11-02-2022, 05:37 PM   #14
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
At least they didn't try to build an Event around these minor updates.

I'm somewhat interested in the ATV update, though it is not clear I have any need for more storage or speed.
Unless you are into gaming, no. Streaming doesn’t need the extra speed or storage. I wish Apple would do like Amazon and add a USB port for external storage. I bought a Fire TV Cube 3rd gen for $99 on special and for a few pennies I was able to quickly add 128GB of storage with a thumb drive, not that I need it. You can add way more storage than that though.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 11:08 AM   #15
datostar
Enthusiast
datostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura aboutdatostar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm still using my 1st Gen 2017 original iPad Pro 9.7 with Pencil 1 which amazingly is still getting iPad OS updates. It's outlived 2 of the overpriced folio keyboards and won't be getting any more. Getting a bit slower now but the battery is OK so I'll stick k with it for now.
datostar is offline   Reply With Quote