Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #1
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
EPUB from public library

Here's another dumb question - - -

Our public library uses OverDrive, and some of the books in their eBook collection are EPUB rather than Kindle.

I have Calibre on my Desktop computer. Is there a way to download one of those EPUB books to my desktop computer, use Calibre to convert it to something that Kindle can handle, and then send it to Kindle?

I see an option to download the EPUB, but the file that shows up in my download folder is tiny, and while I can transfer it to Calibre, Calibre doesn't seem to be able to do anything with it.

There is also a 'Read on Browser' option, but again the html file is miniscule and doesn't seem to contain any information that Calibre can use?
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
Mars95
Mars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheeseMars95 can extract oil from cheese

Device: AuraE2, Poke 3, PW5, Libra 2
You need to open the .acsm file in Adobe digital editions to get the epub. Then you would have to strip the DRM in order to convert and transfer it to your kindle... Which is fine for books you have bought, but... morally questionable when it comes to library books.
Mars95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2022, 10:37 AM   #3
monophoto
Connoisseur
monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monophoto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Amazon Fire HD8 (2020)
OK - thanks for the explanation.
monophoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:36 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Alternatively, you can install the ACSM plugin for calibre which will let you open the .ACSM file without needing ADE. However you will still need an Adobe ID. Since a library book will have DRM (it's part of what allows the library loan to expire without needing to contact the library), you would need to remove the DRM which as Mars95 said, morally questionable since you do not own a library loan though necessary to allow the format shift.

If you have the strength of will to delete the book when the loan expires, this may work for you. I have doubts about myself so avoid putting temptation in my path though I do know several Kindle owners in this area who are forced to do so to read library ebooks (AFAIAA, outside the USA, libraries do not loan Kindle format ebooks).

"I can resist anything except temptation."—Oscar Wilde
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:33 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
...If you have the strength of will to delete the book when the loan expires, this may work for you. I have doubts about myself so avoid putting temptation in my path though I do know several Kindle owners in this area who are forced to do so to read library ebooks (AFAIAA, outside the USA, libraries do not loan Kindle format ebooks).
I've done this in the past when the font (and sometimes the layout) was just horrible -- even though I have ePub readers. So far I've always managed to delete the book afterwards.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2022, 09:56 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you have the strength of will to delete the book when the loan expires, this may work for you. I have doubts about myself so avoid putting temptation in my path though I do know several Kindle owners in this area who are forced to do so to read library ebooks (AFAIAA, outside the USA, libraries do not loan Kindle format ebooks).

"I can resist anything except temptation."—Oscar Wilde
That's why I will never suggest a Kindle to anyone who uses Overdrive outside of the US.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:50 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's why I will never suggest a Kindle to anyone who uses Overdrive outside of the US.
That’s why? You could have fooled me. I thought it was unreasonable attachment to the Kobo brand bordering on obsession combined with an unwillingness to accept that Kindle does anything better or could be better suited to an individual’s wants.

Well, now I know!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 04:02 PM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That’s why? You could have fooled me. I thought it was unreasonable attachment to the Kobo brand bordering on obsession combined with an unwillingness to accept that Kindle does anything better or could be better suited to an individual’s wants.

Well, now I know!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-10-12.png
Views:	121
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	197115  
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:03 PM   #10
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Well, now I know!
Now that’s funny. In all the years that I have owned ereaders, I have considered buying a Kobo several times, but I never have. I think that obsessive attitude of his is so off putting I just couldn’t bring myself to buy a Kobo. For now, I am very happy with my Oasis. I like it even more than I thought I would.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want to use Overdrive and you are not in the US, you get ePub. How is a Kindle better then a Reader that runs RMSDK?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #12
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
My library generally provides eBooks in both EPUB and Kindle format. Since I have a PaperWhite, I choose the Kindle format for download. However, if there is no Kindle format available, but there is an EPUB format, I have no qualms about downloading the EPUB, stripping the DRM, and converting it to something I can use on my Kindle. Other people may posture and virtue-signal about how "immoral" this is, but I don't really care about such feigned indignity. Things would be different it I were giving these DRM-stripped eBooks to others or keeping them for myself. But I'm not doing that. I am just putting them into a format that I can use for the time it takes me to read the book. It is actually quite rare that I have to do this DRM-strip/conversion on a library book. Most come in Kindle format, but every now and then you will find the rare one that is in EPUB only.

I imagine that there are more people reading eBooks on Kindles - in the USA - than on all other EPUB-based eReaders combined. I obviously don't know this for sure, but I am guessing that it is true. So it is somewhat derelict - in the USA at least - for libraries that are funded by taxpayer money to acquire their eBooks in a format that the majority of their borrowers - who are the ones funding the library - cannot use.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:44 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
I imagine that there are more people reading eBooks on Kindles - in the USA - than on all other EPUB-based eReaders combined. I obviously don't know this for sure, but I am guessing that it is true. So it is somewhat derelict - in the USA at least - for libraries that are funded by taxpayer money to acquire their eBooks in a format that the majority of their borrowers - who are the ones funding the library - cannot use.
Do you also consider Amazon forcing fulfillment of library books from Amazon's servers as immoral? Yes, I know that Kobo will also fulfill from their servers but the option of downloading the .acsm file and fulfilling through other means is still there.

As for the morality of removing DRM from library books? You don't own the book which is pretty much all that needs to be said.You did notice that Apprentices Alf and Harper made it clear that they did not support removing DRM from loaned books?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
Now that’s funny. In all the years that I have owned ereaders, I have considered buying a Kobo several times, but I never have. I think that obsessive attitude of his is so off putting I just couldn’t bring myself to buy a Kobo. For now, I am very happy with my Oasis. I like it even more than I thought I would.
I find it pretty sad that you let someone's attitude influence your buying decision that much. I was a Kindle fan for years and we argued with Jon often and heatedly about Kobos vs Kindles. This didn't stop me from buying a Kobo when they released a model I liked. No one's attitude, no matter how distasteful, would keep me from getting something I want. Because ultimately no one else cares about which ereader you buy, not really. Only yourself. The arguments here are just so much hot air - often fun, sometimes irritating, but not something you should get that much offended by.

I sold my Kindle Oasis 3 a couple of weeks ago. It was a fine reader, nothing wrong with it. But I just like my Kobos more. And that is something I never imagined myself saying even 4-5 years ago.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsmom View Post
I wonder how kobo feels about losing sales because of the rantings of a kobo shill.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote