Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-07-2022, 03:45 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I might be losing my final marble but

I was certain that my locked rotation settings used to persist after a power off? I powered on my backup Libra H2O and was surprised that while Nickel respected my locked rotation, KOReader didn't. So I powered off my Sage and discovered the same thing, despited the settings being ias shown in the attachments. Has this always been the case, and/or is there any way to have the rotation shown persist even after powering the devices off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sage.jpg
Views:	1429
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	197031   Click image for larger version

Name:	libra.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	197032  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage (Formerly KKB, PW1, PW3, KV, OA3)
Maybe related, I’ve found that in the recent KOReader nightlies, the screen only rotates to the correct orientation by rotating the device to the opposite orientation and back. In other words, it is not recognizing current orientation at startup or waking up - it only recognizes changes in orientation afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BiliBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 09:42 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Uncle Robin: I'm not sure I see anything wrong here: 180 (Upside Down) *is* the lefty orientation?

@BiliBug: On which device and with which settings?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 11:16 AM   #4
BiliBug
Connoisseur
BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BiliBug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My bad. I rushed to send. Sage.

I only have “Lock auto rotation to current orientation“ selected.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Uncle Robin: Yup, that was a regression since roughly last week .

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/9606

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2022 at 12:10 PM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@BiliBug: Yours might not be the same thing, but it's unclear exactly what you're doing, what you're expecting, and whether that ever worked .

What's your usual rotation, and how does that correlate with sleep and wakeup?
Old 10-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
Maybe related, I’ve found that in the recent KOReader nightlies, the screen only rotates to the correct orientation by rotating the device to the opposite orientation and back. In other words, it is not recognizing current orientation at startup or waking up - it only recognizes changes in orientation afterwards.
This! My two screenshots were taken after resetting the orientation, to show the screen rotation settings - which do persist after power off. It IS the "lefty orientation" but it only looks correct in the shots because I'd selected '180' after powering on.
Old 10-07-2022, 11:55 PM   #8
BiliBug
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@BiliBug: Yours might not be the same thing, but it's unclear exactly what you're doing, what you're expecting, and whether that ever worked .

What's your usual rotation, and how does that correlate with sleep and wakeup?

I only read in portrait mode, so my expectation is that the correct upright orientation would display, whether holding the device buttons left or right.

I usually read buttons left. The display used to flip automatically when waking up, after I touched the corner (“unlock” gesture). Now it defaults to “buttons right”, so the screen is upside down. To make it rotate again, I have to turn it fully to the buttons right position, pause (so it registers?), and then back to buttons left again. Therefore, it seems to be recognizing changes in rotation orientation, but not the initial orientation (of the internal gyro?) upon wake-up.

Hope that makes it clearer.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:43 AM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiliBug View Post
I only read in portrait mode, so my expectation is that the correct upright orientation would display, whether holding the device buttons left or right.

I usually read buttons left. The display used to flip automatically when waking up, after I touched the corner (“unlock” gesture). Now it defaults to “buttons right”, so the screen is upside down. To make it rotate again, I have to turn it fully to the buttons right position, pause (so it registers?), and then back to buttons left again. Therefore, it seems to be recognizing changes in rotation orientation, but not the initial orientation (of the internal gyro?) upon wake-up.

Hope that makes it clearer.
This is what I get too - as in the attached screenshot taken immediately after powering on, BEFORE correcting the orientation this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	upsidedown.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	338.8 KB
ID:	197041  
Old 10-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Uncle Robin's issue should be fixed in today's nightly. (And, assuming your screensaver mode supports portrait orientations (which... they all should ;p), the reboot/poweroff screen will now also follow the lefty Portrait orientation instead of hard-resetting to canonical Portrait).

I... still don't understand @BiliBug's issue, because the screensaver should already be following the lefty Portrait orientation, so nothing should be rotating anywhere... Unless you're using a funky screensaver mode or were reading in Landscape?

(But, to answer the final question: yes, we can't actually ask the system "what's the *current* orientation?"[1], we only get "I just rotated <which way>" events as they happen, so we can't really resync to the actual orientation on resume, we have to go back to what we think it used to be *before* suspend).

[1] Well, it's technically possible, but it's a whole other kettle of fish, as it involves directly bitbanging the gyro over I²C .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-08-2022, 07:18 PM   #11
BiliBug
Connoisseur

It seems to be fixed in the latest nightly I updated to last night.

Open Smart Cover- I see screensaver in correct orientation. If I rotate, it changes correctly.

If I “unlock” it, the book display is now the correct orientation.

It wasn’t doing that in the last few nightlies. It was almost always upside down when opening cover with buttons to the left, and required maneuvering device in various directions, as previously stated, to correct.

Whatever was causing it is fixed now.
Old 10-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's... mildly intriguing, as I only fixed the reboot & poweroff cases yestedray.

The standard "sleep" screensaver cases were fixed... in early April (and it should actually have been working mostly fine long before that).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-08-2022 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 01:00 AM   #13
BiliBug
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That's... mildly intriguing, as I only fixed the reboot & poweroff cases yestedray.

The standard "sleep" screensaver cases were fixed... in early April (and it should actually have been working mostly fine long before that).

If it helps at all, I’m running ver 2022.08.66-g7e209139_2022-10-07.