Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-27-2022, 04:54 PM   #1
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Shifty Dot Leader?

I just played with a book that included a dramatis personae that had a fixed number of periods as a dot leader between the character name and his description. I worked around that, but afterward, I looked for a css class to automatically fill in the gap between two pieces of text. I found some references to CSS3 supposedly having that function built in:

https://www.w3.org/TR/css-gcpm-3/#leaders

but 1) haven't been able to figure it out, and 2) don't know if was actually implemented.

Anway, looking around the web, I found alternative ways and tried this:
Code:
.dotleaderline	{
/* Turns a block into a flexbox so it can be "responsive" */
	display:	flex;
	flex-direction:	row;
	flex-wrap:	nowrap;
	justify-content:	center;
	align-items:	flex-end;
}

.dotfiller	{
/* Stuck between two objects in a flexbox, will fill the gap with dots */
	flex-grow:	1;
	border-bottom:	0.1em dotted;
	min-width:	1.2em;
}
So, something of class dotfiller goes between two objects within the dotleaderline flexbox and it fills in between them with dots. If I use a list to test this, it looks like:
Code:
<ul class="ul_none">
<li class="dotleaderline"><span>first text</span><span class="dotfiller"/><span>last text</span></li>
<li class="dotleaderline"><span>another text</span><span class="dotfiller"/><span>even more last text</span></li>
</ul>
But, it doesn't have to be a list. Plain old divs with paragraphs will work just the same.

The problem is that if there's a text-indent being applied to the objects, the set of dots gets shifted (left or right) by that text-indent and end up in the middle of the actual text. I haven't been able to find a way to override those text-indents and get this to work. The only thing I've found so far is simply setting that text-indent to 0.

Anyone have a better idea?
enuddleyarbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 05:32 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not sure of ALL the ramifications, but have you tried using a margin-left, or padding-left, on the <ul>/<li> instead of text-indent??

I also added a little padding to the right and left of the spans to have a little bit of space between the dots and the letters.

Code:
<head>
  <title></title>

<style>
ul {margin:0; padding:0}
li {margin:0; padding-left:2em}

.dotleaderline	{

}
.dotleaderline span {padding:0 .25em}

.dotfiller	{
/* Stuck between two objects in a flexbox, will fill the gap with dots */
	flex-grow:	1;
	border-bottom:	0.1em dotted;
	min-width:	0;
    padding:0 1.5em
}

</style>
</head>

<body>
<ul class="ul_none">
<li class="dotleaderline"><span>first text</span><span class="dotfiller"/><span>last text</span></li>
<li class="dotleaderline"><span>another text</span><span class="dotfiller"/><span>even more last text</span></li>
</ul>
</body>
</html>
fyi: This seems to work in Sigil's Previewer, but will probably not work in all devices.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
enuddleyarbl
Guru
enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.enuddleyarbl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Not sure of ALL the ramifications, but have you tried using a margin-left, or padding-left, on the <ul>/<li> instead of text-indent??...
I should have included my ul_none class for my <ul>. Sorry:
Code:
.ul_none	{
/* Unordered List No Bullet */
	display: block;
	list-style-type: none;
	margin-left:	1.2em;
	margin-right: 1.2em;
	padding-left: 1.5em;
	text-indent:	-1.5em;
}
So, I do have those margin-left and padding-left in there. But, I really want to keep my text-indents, too.

However, if I just bite the bullet and include a text-indent:0 in the dotleaderline class, that does fix the shifty dots (at the expense, of course, of the indent):
Code:
.dotleaderline	{
	text-indent: 0em;
}
And, I do like your padding in a span class. It makes the line look much better:
Code:
.dotleaderline span {
/* Put some space between the spanned objects in the dotleaderline */
  padding-top:	0em;
  padding-right:	1.25em;
  padding-bottom:	0em;
  padding-left:	1.25em;
}
Old 09-27-2022, 07:49 PM   #4
enuddleyarbl
Guru

About using this outside of a list, it looks like I was wrong about the behavior being the same. If I use a paragraph to hold the spans, the whole line get's scrunched around. If I use a div to hold them, it looks fine.

I'm still trying to figure out what's happening there.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
FWIW, I use definition lists for my character summaries.

Code:
<dl>

<dt>Zarvora Cybeline</dt>
    <dd>Highliber of Libris, the mayoral library, at 26 years old</dd>

<dt>Lemorel Milderellen</dt>
    <dd>From Rutherglen Unitech library. Dragon Orange level at nineteen years old</dd>

<dt>Vellum Drusas</dt>
    <dd>Deputy Overliber, Inspectorate Service</dd>

</dl>

Then style it in the CSS page.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2022, 08:01 PM   #6
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
FWIW, I use definition lists for my character summaries.

Code:
<dl>

<dt>Zarvora Cybeline</dt>
    <dd>Highliber of Libris, the mayoral library, at 26 years old</dd>

<dt>Lemorel Milderellen</dt>
    <dd>From Rutherglen Unitech library. Dragon Orange level at nineteen years old</dd>

<dt>Vellum Drusas</dt>
    <dd>Deputy Overliber, Inspectorate Service</dd>

</dl>
Then style it in the CSS page.
Yep. Using <dl> is probably better than <ul> for this. I just went with <ul> because that's what I used as a quick and dirty workaround for the original sequential paragraphs with periods.

Probably don't need the dot leaders with <dl>, but I wonder if it's doable. EDIT: Doesn't look like it would be either desirable or doable to put dot leaders in a <dl>. The basic form would be enough.

Last edited by enuddleyarbl; 09-27-2022 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:03 PM   #7
enuddleyarbl
Guru

Looks like I'll also have to add margin-top and margin-bottom set to 0 into the dotleaderline class. It appears that the default <li> has some positive spacing there and it spaces things out more.