Notices

Old 08-24-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
pzack
Connoisseur
pzack began at the beginning.

Device: kobo sage,elipsa
goldendict and sardict dictionary use

Good afternoon,

Being new to this forum, I am not sure where I should place this question concerning goldendict dictionaries on Kobo, specifically in Koreader.

I am not a programmer but I know how to access files and install them.

I would like to place some goldendict dictionaries(I use them with Goldendict in windows 11) on my Kobo and koreader.

Koreader uses the Stardict file formats and I mostly use Koreader.

Would someone please tell me how may I use these dictionaries on Kobo and in Koreader. I know that Kobo uses a different file format than stardict in Koreader.

I understand that Goldendict, since it has supposedly replaced stardict, reads stardict but not the reverse.

Please note that it is not a question of using the Goldendict apllication on Kobo and Koreader but rather the dictionaries themselves that are in the Goldendict file formats.

Very cordially,
pzack
pzack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:11 AM   #2
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Goldendict is not a file format. The program goldendict supports many file formats (StarDict/Babylon/Lingvo/Dictd/Aard...). You should be fine if your dicts are already in stardict format. If not you can convert them.

The same tool used to convert from different source formats to stardict can be used to convert them to kobo format. See the tool and the list of supported formats in https://github.com/ilius/pyglossary#supported-formats
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
pzack
Connoisseur

Goodafternoon M. Pazos,

Thankyou for your kind and rapid reply. You are correct that Goldendict is not in itself a file format.
I do not know what the complete list of files formats Stardict will read and if all the dictionary files in my goldendict colection need to be converted to stardict files in order for koreader and kobo w/o koreader to read them.

Now, github is very technical and I am lost in the technical info it provides.

I would need a "hand-hold" that is, a step by step walk through on converting a goldendict readable file to a stardict readable file to be used on kobo and in kobo koreader.

I do have linux as well as windows.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #4
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzack View Post
Goodafternoon M. Pazos,

Thankyou for your kind and rapid reply. You are correct that Goldendict is not in itself a file format.
I do not know what the complete list of files formats Stardict will read and if all the dictionary files in my goldendict colection need to be converted to stardict files in order for koreader and kobo w/o koreader to read them.

Now, github is very technical and I am lost in the technical info it provides.

I would need a "hand-hold" that is, a step by step walk through on converting a goldendict readable file to a stardict readable file to be used on kobo and in kobo koreader.

I do have linux as well as windows.
1. Go to your dictionaries. Look for their extension.
2. Go to https://github.com/ilius/pyglossary#supported-formats. Check that the extension has a green tick on "read" column.
3. Install the program using https://github.com/ilius/pyglossary#...ion-on-windows
4. Run the program. Select your dict file as input.
5. As output select "stardict(ifo)" for koreader and "kobo" for kobo.

I guess the hardest part is to install the application but it is well explained.

If that's too much you're better using https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict, which contains wikidictionary files in both stardict and kobo formats.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:21 PM   #5
pzack
Connoisseur

Good evening M. Pazos,

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply to me and for giving me the needed information.

It seems that each of the two dictionaries that I want to move into Stardict has only one format that the conversion program will support; .ifo in one and .dsl in the other dictionary. Hence, I assume that this is not doable.

On the other hand, can you tell me if the Goldendict app with my dictionaries installed would work on an e-reader that uses the android OS. If so, what would be the earliest android OS that one could use with Goldendict? This is a somewhat expensive work-around but I would very much like to have the Goldendict dictionaries in an e-reader rather than on my windows tablette.

And can you recommend an ereader with the android OS and with a 7inch to 8 inch screen-if Goldendict will work with android of course-otherwise I will just use the Kobo and stardict.

cordially,
pzack
Advert
Old 08-24-2022, 04:19 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
Good evening M. Pazos,

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply to me and for giving me the needed information.

It seems that each of the two dictionaries that I want to move into Stardict has only one format that the conversion program will support; .ifo in one and .dsl in the other dictionary. Hence, I assume that this is not doable.
Hi pzack.

One of the dicts (the .ifo one) is already in stardict format and will work as is in KOReader as long as you follow the wiki: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...l-a-dictionary

The other one is in ABBYY Lingvo DSL. Sent me a PM and I can help you to convert that to startdict, if you wish.

Quote:
On the other hand, can you tell me if the Goldendict app with my dictionaries installed would work on an e-reader that uses the android OS. If so, what would be the earliest android OS that one could use with Goldendict? This is a somewhat expensive work-around but I would very much like to have the Goldendict dictionaries in an e-reader rather than on my windows tablette.

And can you recommend an ereader with the android OS and with a 7inch to 8 inch screen-if Goldendict will work with android of course-otherwise I will just use the Kobo and stardict.
I think you'll get better answers in the android subforum, where people can give you feedback about different android ereaders and the behaviour of the goldendict app in android.

I cannot recommend a single android ereader. They're broken by design, made by fishy companies and full of quirks and security holes.

The ones I know that are not that bad are Tolinos and Nooks and they're based on very old android versions and heavily underpowered compared to the fishy ones. So I can't recommend them either.

Last edited by pazos; 08-24-2022 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM   #7
pzack
Connoisseur

Good morning M.Pazos,

I placed the one dictionary that you said was formatted for stardict in Koreader and,knock on wood,it did indeed function. A very big thankyou!

The other dictionary that I very much want to install into stardict contains four file types; ANN, BMP, DSL, LSD.

Would you, if you can, walk me through the conversion of these files or the files actually needed for this dictionary to function in stardict.

Please advise me if you think that the conversion is "easier" to do under linux or under windows.

Thank you also for your comments regarding ereaders and android. I am abandonning the idea of buying an android e-reader and I'll stick with Kobo for now.

Cordially,
pzack
Old 08-25-2022, 05:38 AM   #8
pzack
Connoisseur

Good morning M. Pazos,

I sent you a message earlier this morning and I forgot to ask you what is a "PM". You asked me to send you a PM.

Further information; the dsl and lsd files appear to be very large data files.

Hoping that you can aid me in converting this dictionary to stardict.

cordially,
pzk
Old 08-25-2022, 06:58 AM   #9
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
PM is private message. Click on the user name and select "Send a private message to..."
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 04:01 AM   #10
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
Hope you got it working pzk
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2024, 04:37 AM   #11
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
Quote:
The other dictionary that I very much want to install into stardict contains four file types; ANN, BMP, DSL, LSD.
Hi pzack, did you succeed to convert those ANN, BMP, DSL, LSD files into stardict (the only difference is I have 2 DSL files and none LSD)? I'm in the same boat (not using Kobo ereader, but Android one), the GoldenDict stopped working on newer Android and would like to convert to stardict file format. Would you mind to share how you did it?
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koreader goldendict