Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
Kobyl
Kobyl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Ed 2
Touch stopped working

Hi all,

The strangest thing happened with my Kobo Aura Edition 2. I was reading on it, and suddenly, when I wanted to turn to the next page, I couldn't. The touch stopped working at all, while I was using the device. It was working just fine. I did not drop it or did anything out of the ordinary. I had been turning pages fine until then.

Only the power button works, now.

To make it strangest: I decided to charge it on the computer, to see if it helped. And when the screen appeared to confirm a USB connection, I was able to press "Connect" (even though the touch was otherwise unresponsive). So I thought: "great, it is working again, it was some battery problem". But no, that was the last time it actually worked. It still does not recognize any touch, in any area, not even when connected to USB, now.

I never opened the device. I tried a reset (which deleted all my content), but now I'm stuck because I can't select the language at the initial screen.

Any ideas? This is very strange to me. The touch screen stopped working out of nowhere, works again when connected to USB, and then dies completely.
Kobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:28 PM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Can you put it into developer mode and try to telnet into it? Do you have some Linux experience?
It is possible to debug this and try to understand what's causing it.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 PM   #3
Kobyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Can you put it into developer mode and try to telnet into it? Do you have some Linux experience?
It is possible to debug this and try to understand what's causing it.
I do use Linux on the computer and I have played around with my phone, installing LineageOS. Is it similar? I don't know how to use the terminal on my own, but I should be able to follow instructions.

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2022, 05:19 PM   #4
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Type "devmodeon" in the Kobo search bar. It will return a "No results"-type page.
Then, telnet to your Kobo's IP (keep the Wi-Fi connection dialog open so it doesn't turn the interface off). Issue this command and tap a bit on the screen:
Code:
evtest /dev/input/event1
Interrupt the program with CTRL+C. Post the output here, then unplug the USB cable and try the same thing again. Post the output.
This will allow us to tell if it's more of an hardware or software error.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:54 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Type "devmodeon" in the Kobo search bar. It will return a "No results"-type page.
Except that touch is not working...
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2022, 10:11 AM   #6
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Except that touch is not working...
Only when the device is not plugged in, from what I have understood.
Old 08-23-2022, 10:39 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Only when the device is not plugged in, from what I have understood.
I read the first post that it worked one time when connected to allow them to tap the connect button, but, not again after that. It does say:

Quote:
But no, that was the last time it actually worked. It still does not recognize any touch, in any area, not even when connected to USB, now.
A factory reset was done and it is sitting on the language selecting screen. Because of the above, I assume the touch does not work when plugged in, but, do not know if that has been tested.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
Kobyl

The message above is correct. Right now, it just does not work. Any chance to perform any tests, as it is?
Old 08-24-2022, 05:40 PM   #9
NiMa
Evangelist

You should connect to the serial port, then. That's pretty much your only option.

Tags
aura edition 2, help kobo