Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-26-2022, 03:06 PM   #1
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sage Options

I had an original Libra, an upgrade from the original H2O. I didn't see the point of a Forma or the Sage.

But I got an Elipsa to proof/preview PDFs for our titles for paper, POD. Also the note taking sounded good. I was so impressed with notes that I decided to get a Sage. But the Pen is expensive and so is the official cover. Add those options and you are close to price of Elipsa, which includes the Pen and cover.

But the note taking and export of Advanced Notebook is brilliant!

So I bought the Sage without a cover as I take out the Libra or Sony PSR-350 and used the Pen off the Elipsa. Someone recommended a Surface 3 third party pen, but it's nearly €20 more expensive than the Kobo model and rechargeable. The Pen uses an AAAA cell that has 5 to 10 year shelf life and 6 month use. Like a smoke alarm or seldom used mircophone or testmeter an alkaline cell makes more sense. The AAAA can be bought in a multipack with other cells and batteries for about €2. But the common kind of cheap €2.50 9V battery has six almost AAAA cells.

I found a Surface3 and later compatible pen without the pointless One Note BT option for £20 on Amazon UK. It works perfectly on the Elipsa and Sage.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09G5R9YJZ/ Edit the .co .uk to your region or use other sellers. So about 1/2 the price of Kobo model. Less than 1/4 price of official Apple Pencil (not compatible and the Kobo/Surface type Pen doesn't work on a current iPad).
Click image for larger version

Name:	adrawpen-1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	193984
A rechargeable Pen will go flat sooner than Alkaline cell used and on most the lithium cell isn't replaceable.

The 3rd party pen has a tip fitted, battery (cell) included and spare hard and soft pair of extra tips. The Kobo tips are expensive.

Similarly there are 3rd party covers. My granddaughter reads, writes and does line art characters so I've ordered her a Sage, the ADrawPen and KwMo bile cover for her next birthday. Make suggested by JWolf (Jon), but I'd found it too
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09PQWC9S8/

I got the boring blue one for my Sage today.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09LYQXHYH/

Note that retail AAAA the can is positive as are all Alkaline cells and the nub is on the Plus end. The nearly AAAA cells in a 6LR23/Alkaline PP3 are slightly shorter and have a bump on the negative end (goes to spring). So tear off the connectors from the bump and fold strip on the flat end to make a Plus bump.

Name:	aaaa-in-kodak-1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	601.1 KB
ID:	193983
These work out at 45c (Ireland euro inc tax/VAT), Thus one pack is 3 years worth of cells.

Insides of Sage, showing how with a cheap soldering iron and little skill the cell can be replaced eventually. Case easily popped off.

Name:	Sage_N778_inside.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	193985

Last edited by Quoth; 05-26-2022 at 03:08 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote