Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2022, 05:39 AM   #1
pierre71
pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: kobo libra 2
Hebrew book page order.

Hi there !

I plan to buy a Kobo libra 2. Before doing so, I would like to be sure the Hebrew Bible actually displays correctly on it.

I build an ebook using sigil that displays correctly with Calibre reader and Sigil, but I experience a strange behaviour when I test it on the android kobo reader app: the beginning of a chapter is displayed on the last page of the chapter.

By example, the beginning of Genesis is :

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

However, on the application, this occurs on page 5, and I need to swipe pages backward to read the book.

The book validates with epubcheck:

http://87.106.205.222/test-epub/hb-13may-epub3.epub

I would appreciate it if someone could test the file on a real device and tell me if it displays it the same way as the kobo android app.
It is possible that the extension should be changed from .epub to .kepub for it to display, but if I name the file this way, the kobo app does not let me import the file.
pierre71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 06:50 AM   #2
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I'm a native Hebrew speaker, I'll check it out.
fyi, Hebrew is displayed perfectly on my Libra H2O once I side loaded some Hebrew fonts (super easy to do). Hebrew support is almost perfect, even in the book list where titles are author names are right justified, a detail mostly don't get right. But that only happens after you first open a book in Hebrew "forcing" it to use some Hebrew font. You only need to do that once after restarting the device, which happens very rarely. I imagine that this could be resolved by modifying the built-in fonts, which is something I didn't bother to do.
Even the buttons/gestures for next/previous page respect the reading Hebrew page reading order.

The only real Hebrew-related grievance I have is the page header/footer display, which isn't displaying correctly mixed LTR/RTL content, as I posted here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1329
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 06:51 AM   #3
pierre71
pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.pierre71 has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

ohh, i should have search better before posting :
https://creativepro.com/topic/book-d...right-to-left/

looks like setting <spine page-progression-direction=”rtl” > was what was missing.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:41 AM   #4
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I noticed that myself, was about to suggest you do that:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=342532
Also, there are some strange occurances of "פ:" in the text that are not in the hard-copy bible I have on my shelf. Chapter and verse in the Hebrew bible are letters א, ב, ג not numbers 1, 2, 3.
Other than that the embedded font is used by default and everything is displayed correctly.

See screenshots below.

Edit: Should've added that I use Calibre to load books to my Kobo and it is setup to convert epubs to kepubs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	78
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	193793   Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	72
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	193794  

Last edited by Colonel Cathcart; 05-13-2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
pierre71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Cathcart View Post
Also, there are some strange occurances of "פ:" in the text that are not in the hard-copy bible I have on my shelf.
I have those in the paper edition I have (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) and they occurs in the source text I used:

https://github.com/openscriptures/morphhb

There, they are wrapped as x-pe (and x-samekh for the ס as in the end of Gen 3:15)

Code:
<seg type="x-pe">פ</seg>          
<seg type="x-samekh">ס</seg>
I think those are Parashah

I am not sure yet how to deal with them, I guess I may just add some space around them or try to play with the css.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I will order the device !
Advert
Old 05-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
AFAIK chapter & verse are a later addition and even ancient Greeks copied using letters as numbers from Phoenicians or Hebrew. The Romans used decimal abacus and employed Greeks or Hebrews. They never used the crazy Roman "numerals" for arithmetic.

Isn't there a Psalm that has all the letters of the Hebrew Aleph Bet as verse numbers where the verses corresponding to someone's name is read as a Memorial?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #7
Colonel Cathcart
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre71 View Post
I think those are Parashah
Ah, that could explain it, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierre71 View Post
Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I will order the device !
Glad I could help. FYI, it seems that with the latest firmware version that forcing the load of Hebrew fonts thing happens much more frequently, instead of every restart it happens every time I connect to the PC (which I haven't done in a while, and I first ran into that just now trying your epub, so thank you).

I vaguely recall a solution to this in the firmware thread suggesting replacing the default fonts in the firmware with modified fonts.