Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #1
willaful
Connoisseur
willaful began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Libra 2
wikipedia no longer working for Voyage

I keep getting an error message when I try to use the look-up feature on the Voyage. Dicitonary and translate still work. Anyone else having this experience?

They're going to have break a lot more than this for me to stop using the Voyage. Every time I use my paperwhite, I hate it more.
willaful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #2
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, K3, Voyage, Oasis 3
I think because Wikipedia dropped old TLS 1.0/1.1 protocols, which older Kindle devices support.

Source:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ecommendations

Last edited by tekkasit; 05-08-2022 at 09:54 PM.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2022, 10:02 PM   #3
willaful
Connoisseur

Ah, thanks for the info.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:40 AM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I have an Oasis 2 running 5.14.2 and Wikipedia hasn't been working on it for the last couple of days (There was an error loading results. Please try again.) I have tried rebooting and it doesn't help.

Wikipedia works fine in the Kindle app on my iPhone.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Are we talking about the Wikipedia pop up when you select a word or phrase? It works rarely for me (‘america’ returns geo coordinates?!), most other times get ‘there was an error’ or shows nothing but a link letting me open browser to see an article, which is the correct article. For sure you can load Wikipedia in the crappy browser so it isn’t the TLS thing. And of course it was working previously.

I have 5.14.3 on my Kindles.

Since the Kindle apps are working, looks like issue is on Kindles themselves, or in the service that feeds them Wikipedia snippets.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-09-2022 at 05:38 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #6
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
This is an Amazon confirmed known issue with firmware 5.14.3
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #7
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, K3, Voyage, Oasis 3
My Oasis with firmware 5.14.3 is still fine. I mean the Wikipedia pop-up.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:20 PM   #8
willaful
Connoisseur

And another Voyage problem -- I can no longer connect it to my computer. No more sideloading.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by willaful View Post
And another Voyage problem -- I can no longer connect it to my computer. No more sideloading.
That's got to be some kind of hardware issue. Nothing in the Voyage firmware would keep it from connecting — unless there is some kind of corruption.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 05:48 PM   #10
muggleMode
Enthusiast
muggleMode began at the beginning.

Device: PW5
I bought my first ink-reader a few weeks ago (PW with 5.14.2) and a few days ago I jailbroken it, and wikipedia didn't work for me, I thought maybe it was because of the jailbreak, but I see that it happens to many people... Something to keep in mind is that with the English language it works, but in Spanish it does not.
muggleMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleMode View Post
Something to keep in mind is that with the English language it works, but in Spanish it does not.
Several people here have reported that English does not always work, including myself. So this is not the case.

It does sometimes work for me, but there are also many times when it just says ‘There was an error loading the results. Please try again.’ And trying again results in the same error.

This is a new issue, as far as I can tell. It should either return a result, or say that it couldn’t find any and offer to open Wikipedia with the selected search term.

Last edited by tomsem; 05-10-2022 at 06:29 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:14 PM   #12
ajs256
he/him
ajs256 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jailbroken Kindle PW3 + PW5
Can confirm. Sometimes Wikipedia works, sometimes it doesn't. I have a jailbroken PW5SE with 5.14.2. Can this be fixed with the jailbreak?
ajs256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:09 PM   #13
willaful
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's got to be some kind of hardware issue. Nothing in the Voyage firmware would keep it from connecting — unless there is some kind of corruption.
You're right, it was okay after I restarted it.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:03 PM   #14
cliffsloane555
cliffsloane555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkasit View Post
I think because Wikipedia dropped old TLS 1.0/1.1 protocols, which older Kindle devices support.

Source:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/...ecommendations
This is probably as good an answer as I will get. But then, it begs two questions:
1. Can I do anything to fix this?
2. How should I communicate this to Amazon, if I risk losing another hour of my life?
cliffsloane555 is offline   Reply With Quote