Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2022, 03:38 PM   #1
jjparker
jjparker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre with Raspberry Pi 4

I noticed a post regarding the installation of Calibre on the Raspberry Pi 3 which sounded like an easy thing to do. Yet, downloads seem only interested in Intel processors so how is Calibre loaded onto a Raspberry Pi 4? Keep in mind I’m a financial guy not a computer person. And does one lose functionality going this route? Would I be better off just purchasing an Apple Mac mini and accessing with my iPad via Luna?

Many thanks in advance!
jjparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 04:54 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjparker View Post
I noticed a post regarding the installation of Calibre on the Raspberry Pi 3 which sounded like an easy thing to do. Yet, downloads seem only interested in Intel processors so how is Calibre loaded onto a Raspberry Pi 4? Keep in mind I’m a financial guy not a computer person. And does one lose functionality going this route? Would I be better off just purchasing an Apple Mac mini and accessing with my iPad via Luna?

Many thanks in advance!
There is a beta version of calibre for ARM64.

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

Follow the Manual binary install for Linux:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

Code:
sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre && sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall]
That should work depending on you OS.

bernie

Last edited by BetterRed; 12-15-2022 at 04:00 PM. Reason: coding error :)
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #3
jjparker
jjparker began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
There is a beta version of calibre for ARM64.

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

Follow the Manual binary install for Linux:

https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

[CODEsudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre && sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/* && sudo tar xvf /path/to/downloaded/calibre-tarball.txz -C /opt/calibre && sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall][/CODE]

That should work depending on you OS.

bernie
Thanks for the quick and precise response.
Much appreciated.

Jeffrey
jjparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:57 AM   #4
indigo141
indigo141 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Thanks Bernie. Your code combined with installing Kalzium, suggested here
got me up and running with Calibre 6.1. Found here
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 400 with Raspian Desktop 64-bit OS. I did'nt even need to unistall the first failed attempt before the second successful install.
indigo141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2022, 11:35 PM   #5
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo141 View Post
Thanks Bernie. Your code combined with installing Kalzium, suggested here
got me up and running with Calibre 6.1. Found here
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 400 with Raspian Desktop 64-bit OS. I did'nt even need to unistall the first failed attempt before the second successful install.
Hi indigo141,

How did you work around the glibc incompatibility? The latest 64-bit raspbian uses glibc 2.31 while the manual calibre installer requires glibc 2.34:

Quote:
/opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall)
Quote:
ldd --version
ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.31-13+rpt2+rpi1+deb11u5) 2.31

Last edited by RoninTech; 12-16-2022 at 11:43 PM.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2022, 04:05 AM   #6
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Got an answer from Kovid in another thread. Calibre switched to requiring the newer glibc after version 6.7.

I was able to install calibre 6.7 on my stock 64bit Raspbian by sticking to that version of calibre and also installing these:

Quote:
sudo apt install libegl1 libopengl0
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:28 PM   #7
indigo141

Hi RoninTech, yes I saw Kovid's post after i had installed ver 6.1. I saw a post where another Pi user had installed 6.1 successfully so that was as ambitious as I dared to be. Mostly i wanted the full text search which i believe 6.0 and above have. Perhaps I should try for ver 6.7.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:44 PM   #8
indigo141

Actually sudo apt install libegl1 libopengl0 looks much more elegant than installing an unrequired app
Old 05-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #9
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
On a Raspberry Pi 4, I have a newly created fully updated 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS.

I downloaded https://download.calibre-ebook.com/b....7.1-arm64.txz

then did

sudo mkdir -p /opt/calibre
sudo rm -rf /opt/calibre/*
sudo tar xvf Downloads/calibre-6.7.1-arm64.txz -C /opt/calibre
sudo /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall

but got the error
/opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall: /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.34' not found (required by /opt/calibre/calibre_postinstall)

I thought that Calibre v6.7 still used glibc_2.31 according to above comments.

Did I do something wrong?
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to download the 6.19.1 installer. You should be able to connect to calibre release (6.19.1) and download the ARM64 package.

I suspect you will still need to install the glibc package before retrying the calibre installation
Quote:
though the sources.json shows 2.70.1 as the current version.

},

{
"name": "glib",
"os": "linux",
"unix": {
"filename": "glib-2.70.1.tar.xz",
"hash": "sha256:f9b7bce7f51753a1f43853bbcaca8bf09e15e99426 8e29cfd7a76f65636263c0",
"urls": ["https://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glib/2.70/{filename}"]
}
},

Last edited by DNSB; 05-30-2023 at 02:22 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 05:27 PM   #11
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Thank-you, DNSB

As expected, trying this with version 6.19.1 gave the error about `GLIBC_2.34'. But your link lead me to https://download.calibre-ebook.com/6.7.1/, which actually works.
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote