Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-13-2022, 08:07 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New Nook Clears the FCC

What appears to be a new Nook ereader showed up on the FCC website on Wednesday.

All the important info has been embargoed until August, but I can tell you that I found paperwork for a device with the FCC ID XHH-BNRV1000-A. It is described as an ereader, and has both Bluetooth and Wifi.*That is unfortunately all I can tell you about it at this time, but I expect that in the next few months we will find out more.

This is the third new device B&N has filed with the FCC in the past three years. This is a significant investment considering that B&N's digital revenues are negligible, but it could be a sign that the company is investing in a turnaround effort.

FCC via NateHoffelder.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new nook XHH-BNRV1000-A.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	192303  
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
Musicman
Evangelist
Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Musicman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ-Reader - Samsung Nook's- Nook S/T w/Glow - Kindle Fire - Nova 2
In addition, I received an email from Barnes and Noble that they are integrating Audio Books with their Nook app and website, and getting rid of their standalone Nook Audio App.

Looks like they may really have an interest in reviving their eBook business...
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A quick look at the FCC bits and bobs suggests that this is another 6" ereader with 8GB storage. The Bluetooth seems to be capable of 3Mbps which suggests that it is using Bluetooth 2.1 (Bluetooth 4 is 1Mbps max while Bluetooth 5 reaches 2Mbps, ( we don't talk about Bluetooth 3 ).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A quick look at the FCC bits and bobs suggests that this is another 6" ereader with 8GB storage. The Bluetooth seems to be capable of 3Mbps which suggests that it is using Bluetooth 2.1 (Bluetooth 4 is 1Mbps max while Bluetooth 5 reaches 2Mbps, ( we don't talk about Bluetooth 3 ).
If it is 6" and 8 GB maybe Nook is planning on competing against the Kindle Basic and Kobo Nia.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Considering the Glowlight 4 just came out, I do wonder about this. It seems weird for B&N to launch a lower end e-ink device. A refresh of the larger Glowlight Plus seems to make more sense, but what do I know?

Since I don't think they are already looking to replace the 4 I don't have a lot of expectations for the new Nook. Here's hoping they stop the partitioning silliness.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Barnes & Noble survives by selling legos. If they’re smart they’ll go with a reader for kids.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Barnes & Noble survives by selling legos. If they’re smart they’ll go with a reader for kids.
Problem is kids don't have credit cards which probably limits their ebook purchases quite a bit. I imagine the eReader doesn't make the retailer too much money compared to buying books off the store.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:42 PM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
In addition, I received an email from Barnes and Noble that they are integrating Audio Books with their Nook app and website, and getting rid of their standalone Nook Audio App.

Looks like they may really have an interest in reviving their eBook business...
As does Apple, Google, and Kobo. It makes sense. B&N will probably be able to sell more audiobooks just by not having a different app to download.

I wish Amazon would do the same with the Kindle app: the Audible app can continue, but it’s hopelessly cluttered and annoying to use (I’ve exported all my audiobooks to .m4b and use a different app to listen to them).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:01 PM   #9
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
Whatever it is, I hope it’s an inspired effort from B&N for once. Aside from the Glowlight Plus, they’ve shown very little innovation in recent years.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 11:10 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Whatever it is, I hope it’s an inspired effort from B&N for once. Aside from the Glowlight Plus, they’ve shown very little innovation in recent years.
I like all of my Nooks. The old 6" Glowlight Plus is a very nice design. I also appreciated the throwback vibe of the Glowlight 3 as well as the excellent screen and dark amber lighting. If the Glowlight 4 were waterproof, it would have been a day 1 purchase for me.

Their software may be lackluster, but I enjoy their hardware design.

I'm not expecting much from a new 6" Nook that is being released just months after the Glowlight 4 with a smaller amount of storage. But I am curious to see it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 02-15-2022 at 08:25 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:45 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
Has any eInk eReader company really shown a lot of innovation in recent years? I always hear that eReaders aren't very "innovative" but I think hardware quality is as (or more) important. And I also wonder, what kind of innovation are you looking for? What I want is a good screen and the ability to easily navigate through my book. I like the Nook's page turn buttons and their location -- and their screens have been top notch. I can't speak for the GL4, I haven't seen it yet. But both GL+ Nooks and the GL3 all have very good screens.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:49 AM   #12
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Has any eInk eReader company really shown a lot of innovation in recent years? I always hear that eReaders aren't very "innovative" but I think hardware quality is as (or more) important. And I also wonder, what kind of innovation are you looking for? What I want is a good screen and the ability to easily navigate through my book. I like the Nook's page turn buttons and their location -- and their screens have been top notch. I can't speak for the GL4, I haven't seen it yet. But both GL+ Nooks and the GL3 all have very good screens.
We've seen some from smaller players. PocketBook and Boox released color devices, the selection of big screened note taking eInk devices has grown considerably since the launch of the Remarkable so that even Kobo took notice and finally got in the game.

A good screen is good but there's more to be done. A $100 Android tablet is leaps faster than a $100 eReader and is better to use because of it. Heck even a $60 one is. I'd like to see the return of microSD card slots, 8GB is only good if all you are reading is novels. There's probably more that could be done to improve rendering and other handy software features.
Old 02-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #13
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Nah. I was seriously bummed about my Boox device (got the 10"). Meh. It's fine for the times when I need to write on a PDF--rare--but other than that, it never gets used.

To be fair: Part of it is handsize compatibility, of course, which isn't the device's fault. Myhands are long-fingered but the 10" devices, whether it's the Kindle 10 or the Boox, etc. just don't seem to fit the hand, not for me. And I'm not some petite five-footer, either; I'm reasonably tall for my era (5'8"+), and my hands are proportionate. (shrug).

But innovation? No. Last device in the eInk world that I loved was my Voyage, which has gone to that great electronic graveyard in the sky. I did not care at all for the Oasis and quickly replaced it with this newest, latest and greatest Uber-Paperwhite thing, which I do like.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:36 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One bit of wild eyed speculation is if B&N is introducing another 6" device so soon after the Nook 4 is that it will have a colour screen (eInk Kaleido Plus or DES Slurry???). In theory, the DES Slurry display could give 600DPI in B&W and 300DPI in colour though the only implementations I'm aware of (Reinkstone R1 and the TopJoy Butterfly) have shown display issues and suffer from software issues (atrocious ghosting and page turns that make an eInk Pearl screen seem speedy are a couple of issues mentioned).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 03:07 PM   #15
salamanderjuice
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Nah. I was seriously bummed about my Boox device (got the 10"). Meh. It's fine for the times when I need to write on a PDF--rare--but other than that, it never gets used.

To be fair: Part of it is handsize compatibility, of course, which isn't the device's fault. Myhands are long-fingered but the 10" devices, whether it's the Kindle 10 or the Boox, etc. just don't seem to fit the hand, not for me. And I'm not some petite five-footer, either; I'm reasonably tall for my era (5'8"+), and my hands are proportionate. (shrug).

But innovation? No. Last device in the eInk world that I loved was my Voyage, which has gone to that great electronic graveyard in the sky. I did not care at all for the Oasis and quickly replaced it with this newest, latest and greatest Uber-Paperwhite thing, which I do like.

Hitch
I'm not sure what handsize compatibility is exactly but I find my 10.3" Boox Note Air to be as easy to use as a modern iPad. Easier actually because the bezel on the one side is thicker so it's easier to hold without touching the screen. I don't have giant hands either. Of course YMMV but it's my favorite eink device ever.