Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2022, 04:38 PM   #1
BatteryPowered
BatteryPowered began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Clara HD, Sage
Need SD Image for Kobo Aura HD

Does someone have the factory SD image for the Kobo Aura HD?
I have a defective unit that will boot but not accept USB connections and Wi-Fi activation gives an error.

Current firmware is a very old 2.5 from the top of my head. Does anyone have an image with the latest version of the Kobo firmware?

Thanks in advance!
BatteryPowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
Does someone have the factory SD image for the Kobo Aura HD?

I have a defective unit that will boot but not accept USB connections and Wi-Fi activation gives an error.

Current firmware is a very old 2.5 from the top of my head. Does anyone have an image with the latest version of the Kobo firmware?
If your Aura HD is booting you should be able to upgrade the firmware manually. Here's where you can get the latest download.

https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

Just download for the Aura HD, extract the firmware update (.zip file) to your .kobo folder and restart. You'll then be at release 4.30.

The reason you're having trouble with WiFi is that 2.5 doesn't have the newest security protocols and is rejected by Kobo.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2022, 07:24 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@BatteryPowered: The images I have are all taken after a factory reset. That means that the one I have for the Aura HD would be at firmware 2.5 like your devices.

The WiFi connectivity issue is because in early 2019 Kobo had to remove older security protocols from their servers as they were no longer considered to be secure. You could still setup the older devices using the Kobo desktop application or by manually installing newer firmware.

But, if the USB connection is not working, you cannot do either of these. And it is very unlikely that an image will fix anything. If the device is booting to the point were you can tell that WiFi is not connecting, then the device is probably OK from that side. The issue is probably the USB hardware (port or cable) or an issue on the PC. Does the device or PC react at all when you plug it in? Does the battery charge?

Something you could try is to take the SD card out and copy the firmware update files directly to the card. You need to put them in the ".kobo" directory of the books partition. These are normally handled when the device is disconnected from the PC. They don't normally get processed when the device is booted, but, if it is in the setup state, it might happen. Or if there is some connectivity when plugging in to the USB port, it might happen when the device is disconnected.

I can supply the image if you want, but, at this point, I don't think it will help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 05:05 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
...But, if the USB connection is not working, you cannot do either of these. ...
I was focused on the WiFi issue and completely missed USB one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #5
BatteryPowered

Thanks a bunch! I did put the update on the SD card, inserted it, connected battery and it immediately started updating. This is actually a device I want to repair so this is certainly a step in the right direction.

I am now able to set it up using Wi-Fi so it is usable, except the USB Data issue still persists unfortunately.

I did resolder and check the Micro-USB port and it is all fine. Even checked the data- and data+ connections from the lead all the way through the smd components to a via on the motherboard which goes straight to the Freescale processor.

I'm currently at a loss as to why USB connection is not working. Tonight I'm going to check the traces and the via's (they're on the "display" side of the motherboard) again.

If those are allright I suspect one of the two support components which the D- and D+ signals go through. If those are not hindering the signal it probably is a broken connection on the BGA and will need reflowing of some sort.

If anyone has any information of the components residing on the USB Data lines and how I should test these please let me know. They look like a tiny transistor and a dual mode coil (Board says LC) so probably a coil. Attached a picture so take a look if you're interested

https://imgur.com/pETzISD

Last edited by BatteryPowered; 01-21-2022 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Image wasn't working
Advert
Old 01-21-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
BatteryPowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, if the USB connection is not working, you cannot do either of these. And it is very unlikely that an image will fix anything. If the device is booting to the point were you can tell that WiFi is not connecting, then the device is probably OK from that side. The issue is probably the USB hardware (port or cable) or an issue on the PC. Does the device or PC react at all when you plug it in? Does the battery charge?
USB is charging, even when plugged into my PC. Sometimes it pauses charging for a sec and then continues. USB data connection is doing nothing at all. Checked Windows device manager and it doesn't register any device.

Tested my PC and cable with my old Kobo Glo and this is working without any issue.

Looks like a motherboard issue or a processor issue I'm afraid.. Don't want to go and reflow the Freescale chip when it can only ruin the device further.

Tags
aura hd, usb connection, usb issues, usb mass storage