Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2022, 05:20 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Looking for a premium reader, 7-10" - Metal?

Hi there!
So I have done some research on mobileread and I decided to get a new reader, 7 to 10", that can read PDF's and render them automatically when changing the font size (like in the Sony readers, where you load a PDF, change the font size and the Sony renders the PDF automatically to be like an epub)

I don't have many technical PDF's so I'm not too stressed about the 10"

One very important factor is build quality. I am shallow, I like NICE things, preferably metal, or a high quality plastic like the Google Pixel or Sony phones, where they use this glass-fiber sony playstation type plastic that feels high quality.

I do not like cheaply made stuff, even though they have great specs.

I looked at the Kobo Sage, but too many people complain about battery and cheap build quality.
I looked at Boox Leaf too, what do you think? Looks pretty sharp.

On the 10" models, is there anything super high quality?

Thanks for any tip on a premium reader.
I have about 250-500$ to spend on this but it would be great to be at the low end, I'm no julius caesar.
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:39 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif23 View Post
Hi there!
So I have done some research on mobileread and I decided to get a new reader, 7 to 10", that can read PDF's and render them automatically when changing the font size (like in the Sony readers, where you load a PDF, change the font size and the Sony renders the PDF automatically to be like an epub)

One very important factor is build quality. I am shallow, I like NICE things, preferably metal, or a high quality plastic like the Google Pixel or Sony phones, where they use this glass-fiber sony playstation type plastic that feels high quality.

You have sort of implied, but not spelt out, an e-ink reader. If that's not essential, look at the iPad Mini or a similar tablet.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 05:10 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When you say premium, all you really mean is overpriced. You don't buy a Reader these days based on plastic or metal. You buy a Reader based on the software and what it can do.

But I do have to agree that for PDF, a tablet such as an iPad is a lot better for PDF then a Reader unless you want to get a 13.3" Reader. But given the price, an iPad is a much better value.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-15-2022 at 05:26 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:31 AM   #4
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys!

The problem with tablets is that you constantly have to charge them

I do want an E-Ink...

I used a PRS-650 for many years and I like it, but I want something a little bigger.

My physical library got flooded, and I lost 200 rare philosophy and physics books... I decided I am going to invest in an E-Reader and never buy a physical book again... I am sick of movnig apartments and paying a thousand bucks just to transfer the library every time, and I am sick of getting it flooded and damaged.

Quality to me means something like the PRS-505, remember it? Solid, feels good in the hand, good quality...
Is there a 7-8" PRS-505 like device nowadays?

JSWOLF- With the Sony PRS-650, when you open a PDF and then change the font size on the toolbar, the Sony automatically renders the PDF to be a text-only, perfectly fitting document. That is just fine for me as I don't annotate or anything, but I can just USB-Sideload pdf reading books and start reading without calibre.

Moreover, due to privacy concerns, I am trying to avoid Amazon. I am very fussy about user agreements and don't want devices that "talk home" every second.

Last edited by Fif23; 01-15-2022 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 05:57 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't find a Reader like the PRS-505/PRS-650. I did have both of those.

One Reader that will do PDF reflow that you may find suits your needs is the Pocketbnook Inkpad 3. It's a 7.8" screen. Here is a video showing you PDF reflow.

JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The Lenovo Yoga is a very metal 10" 1920x1200 LCD tablet with longer than usual battery life and exceptional speaker sound. There is a version for SIM and it works with at least a 256 G byte micro SD card. Look it up and you might suspect why battery life is good.

I have the Kobo Libra 7" which is most used. It's the only one I use when I need to do proofing and annotation. I use a 7.8" Mars eink for County Library books direct download and some scanned PDF old books, though I'd like a bit bigger with more resolution, but the 10" eink seem to have about the same number of pixels.

I do have a Sony PRS350 5" for travelling /outdoors if I don't have space for the Libra. I never use the Kindle DXG, Kindle Keyboard 3 or Paperwhite 3 now except for testing ebooks I format and as serial numbers to purchase Amazon ebooks to read on the Libra. I have an original Kobo H2O too.

I rarely use the front lights, where fitted.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:46 PM   #7
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
The problem with tablets is that you constantly have to charge them
Most people tend to sleep at least 4-5 hours, usually at night but at some point every 24 hour cycle. That should recharge to 100% and be ready to cover the next period until the 4-5 (or more) hours sleep/recharge cycle.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #8
Fif23
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
Most people tend to sleep at least 4-5 hours, usually at night but at some point every 24 hour cycle. That should recharge to 100% and be ready to cover the next period until the 4-5 (or more) hours sleep/recharge cycle.

No thanks, I'm not the type to carry wires and chargers and worry about wall sockets all day, like most people... I'm a simple man
Old 01-15-2022, 04:07 PM   #9
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
No thanks, I'm not the type to carry wires and chargers and worry about wall sockets all day, like most people... I'm a simple man
I don't carry anything, just have specific spots for specific devices and when I go to bed at night the devices plug in and recharge, every other night for Apple watch, weekly for Kobo, etc.. But if I had a Sage and it was as bad as they say, or any other power hungry device, it would just plug in every night and recharge concurrently with my recharging.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 09:30 AM   #10
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO.PocketBook.ONYX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You won't find a Reader like the PRS-505/PRS-650. I did have both of those.

One Reader that will do PDF reflow that you may find suits your needs is the Pocketbnook Inkpad 3. It's a 7.8" screen. Here is a video showing you PDF reflow.

Yes, the pocketbook is very good for PDF.
The "PocketBook InkPad X" model is very high quality, but in my opinion it is too expensive for what it is.
https://youtu.be/grqBdJ86HWo

The "price / quality" ratio is IMHo ideal above "Inkpad 3" with SD slot.
If E-INK was not a condition, the iPAD 2021 would come up with a more natural solution. It's faster, supports third-party program installation, is colorful with pen support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture d’écran du 2022-01-16 15-35-26.png
Views:	608
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	191624  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 01-16-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Hi there!

I looked at the Kobo Sage, but too many people complain about battery and cheap build quality.
I looked at Boox Leaf too, what do you think? Looks pretty sharp.

On the 10" models, is there anything super high quality?

Thanks for any tip on a premium reader.
I have about 250-500$ to spend on this but it would be great to be at the low end, I'm no julius caesar.
The Boox Note Air 2. It's a nice looking solid feeling aluminum 10" eReader that's good. I have the Note Air 1 which is the same case design just with last year's specs. Also a good option if you can still order it. It's at the top end of your budget but the specs are very good and it can do PDF reflow out of the box. Much more enjoyable than other eInk devices for PDFs IMO.

If you just want to read PDFs the Remarkable 2 is another option for quality feeling device. It's way more limited than the Boox though and sucks at handling ePubs and other content. Really only good for PDFs and taking notes by hand.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 05:07 AM   #12
Fif23
Connoisseur

Thanks for the comments guys!
Been looking at your links.

That Boox company really makes nice looking devices!

I saw that they have a 7.8" model called BOOX Nova Air - Any known problems with it? It looks just the perfect device for some technical non-drawing PDF's.

Does it reflow as well? Battery life?
Old 01-18-2022, 06:17 AM   #13
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys!
Been looking at your links.

I saw that they have a 7.8" model called BOOX Nova Air - Any known problems with it? It looks just the perfect device for some technical non-drawing PDF's.

The Boox devices all run pretty much the same software so it should reflow. My older Nova 2 does as well. My only concern is they made the battery smaller with Nova Air than previous Nova 2/3. Not exactly sure how that effects runtime? You might want to look at reviews and see if it's something you'd be happy with.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 03:02 AM   #14
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bigme 3/3, Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Ki/Ko 0/8
Quote:

I would prefer the Nova 3: the Nova Air's writing film detracts from the screen's clarity but improves the writing feel.
While the Nova Air is lighter, it also has the smaller battery.
From the software capabilities, they can do the same.

It depends on what is more important to you: reading or writing
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote