Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-26-2021, 07:34 PM   #1
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Difference between methods of exporting data/settings?

I routinely backup my Calibre library as well as the Calibre folder (via method #2 below). What exactly is the difference between the two methods below, and which is best, for the purpose of migrating a duplicate Calibre installation to a new computer? Is #1 as comprehensive as #2, i.e., saving all customizations, plugins, etc.?

Per the user manual:

1. Calibre library: Export/import all calibre data: Allows you to either export calibre data for migration to a new computer or import previously exported data.

Or:

2. Preferences => Miscellaneous => Open Calibre configuration folder (and save the entire Calibre folder)
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
1) does Everything, including ALL Libraries (selectable)

2) only does USER configuration, not Library configuration (lik custom cols)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2021, 08:15 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've always used method 2 to move my Calibre stuff to another computer, and never have had any issues, other than the screen resolution differences on different computers (for which I use the View Manager plugin).

I use FreeFileSync for incremental backup of the library and settings folder.

As I understand it, method 1 is meant for moving to another computer, not really for backup.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 08:21 PM   #4
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) does Everything, including ALL Libraries (selectable)

2) only does USER configuration, not Library configuration (lik custom cols)
Thank you again, @theducks. Looks like I've been doing it the hard way. Good to know #1 also includes cust. columns, plugin configs., etc. I was concerned I might not have everything covered.
Old 12-26-2021, 08:31 PM   #5
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've always used method 2 to move my Calibre stuff to another computer, and never have had any issues, other than the screen resolution differences on different computers (for which I use the View Manager plugin).

I use FreeFileSync for incremental backup of the library and settings folder.

As I understand it, method 1 is meant for moving to another computer, not really for backup.
Actually, I backup for worst-case scenario of having an unplanned setup of a new computer. So, perhaps I can continue regular backups of #2 and my frequent sync (via SyncToy) of the library.

Are you refering to settings within the library folder?
Advert
Old 12-26-2021, 09:12 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Are you refering to settings within the library folder?
No, I meant the configuration folder in AppData.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, I meant the configuration folder in AppData.
Thank you.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #8
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
When I recently rebuilt my pc I replaced the SSD c:\ and had to reinstall Windows.

I simply copied my %appdata%\Calibre from the old drive to the new c: drive and I was up and running again within seconds.

Last edited by Karellen; 12-26-2021 at 10:03 PM. Reason: SSD not SDD
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I've copied my Calibre libraries and configuration folder to 6 different laptops and tablets in 10 years. No issues, except with different resolutions and aspect ratios I had to change the column widths.
Old 01-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #10
Joliet Jake
Zealot
Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joliet Jake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I always do #1, and backup my database/library regularly.

I don't want to set up collections/series columns or DeDRM, or Kobo Utilities, or Kobo Touch Extended again either. I got a new computer last year and the transition was totally seamless since I didn't have to "reinvent the wheel".
Joliet Jake is offline   Reply With Quote