Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Kindle PW spontaneously rebooting

I have a less than 2 year old Kindle PW 10th gen that has restarted itself three times in the past 24 hours. It's on the latest firmware.

The device's screen goes pure white when turning a page, and within a minute does a simple restart. When it comes back up, it has lost its place in my book, leaving me at a spot where I was three or four days ago.

The device has wifi/LTE/3G, and the only change I've made since the firmware update are loading an audiobook several weeks ago and pairing wireless Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth has been turned off for over a week.

It seems to be going through battery faster than usual as well. I've had it on low-power sleep mode, which usually gives me weeks of standby battery life; but last night (when it first rebooted itself) it was over 30%, and when I opened it this afternoon it was at 10% power and demanding I charge it up. There are no newly downloaded books, so I don't think it's indexing.

Has anyone see this kind of behavior, or have any troubleshooting hints? I plan to do a factory reset when it finishes charging.
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.hauser View Post
I have a less than 2 year old Kindle PW 10th gen that has restarted itself three times in the past 24 hours. It's on the latest firmware.

The device's screen goes pure white when turning a page, and within a minute does a simple restart. When it comes back up, it has lost its place in my book, leaving me at a spot where I was three or four days ago.

The device has wifi/LTE/3G, and the only change I've made since the firmware update are loading an audiobook several weeks ago and pairing wireless Bluetooth headphones. Bluetooth has been turned off for over a week.

It seems to be going through battery faster than usual as well. I've had it on low-power sleep mode, which usually gives me weeks of standby battery life; but last night (when it first rebooted itself) it was over 30%, and when I opened it this afternoon it was at 10% power and demanding I charge it up. There are no newly downloaded books, so I don't think it's indexing.

Has anyone see this kind of behavior, or have any troubleshooting hints? I plan to do a factory reset when it finishes charging.
It could possibly be a problem with the book you are reading. I had a similar problem with a "boxed set" that I bought off of Amazon a few weeks ago. I tried splitting the book using Calibre, thinking that maybe it was the size, but it didn't help. Bad formatting somewhere in the book's code--I'm not interested enough in the stories to troubleshoot any further, so I returned it.

So...maybe try it with a different book and see if it keeps happening?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
It could possibly be a problem with the book you are reading. I had a similar problem with a "boxed set" that I bought off of Amazon a few weeks ago. I tried splitting the book using Calibre, thinking that maybe it was the size, but it didn't help. Bad formatting somewhere in the book's code--I'm not interested enough in the stories to troubleshoot any further, so I returned it.

So...maybe try it with a different book and see if it keeps happening?

Shari
Thanks, Shari. In this case, it doesn't appear to be the book. 48 hours after a factory reset, it looks like the Kindle is behaving normally. The book I was reading was rather large, but after the reset I downloaded and finished it without issue, and have started another book.
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote