Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
hollowpoint
Groupie
hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hollowpoint ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Mini, Kindle PW5, Libra 2
Best way to copy existing data/metadata to a new copy of a book

Q: What's the best way in Calibre to copy existing data and metadata (like: custom downloaded covers, custom tags and book metadata, personal annotations, highlights, bookmarks), to a new copy of the same book?

Background:
  • I keep 2 copies of my Calibre library and all ebooks: a source library (jailbroken copies of all ebooks in their original format), and a custom library (everything in the source library but with multiple formats added, customizations like covers, metadata, and annotations like notes/bookmarks added thru Calibre content server)
  • Periodically, the ebooks in the 'source' library get updated. For example, maybe Amazon puts out an updated copy of a book I already have, or a 2nd ed. that adds a new preface, etc.
  • In those cases where book is updated but content is nearly identical, I want to move a copy of the updated book into my custom library, then apply all the custom data from the first copy of the book to the updated copy.

Looking for the most simple and efficient way to copy all custom metadata from the old copy of a book to the new, without mangling or losing my custom metadata and annotations. Is it as simple as using the copy/paste or merge metadata functions that are in the context menu? Or is it more of a multi-step process, maybe something that can be handled with one of the specialty plugins?
hollowpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
What I've done in the past is add the new book as a new record. Then I strip all the metadata from the new copy. Then use Edit Metadata > Merge > Merge into First Selected Book.

Note that you can't have two copies of the same format. If you want to retain it in the same record, you can put the old one to a compressed archive and add that, but temporarily disable the Archive Extract plugin.

Annotations are tricky though. I think they're based on position so depending on how much the book has changed it might be in the completely wrong place.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2021, 08:38 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Right click add books and choose "add empty book" and "duplicate current book". That will take care fo copying metadata. As for annotations, assuming you are reading in epub format and have not disabled saving of annotations inside files, the easiest way is to simply add the epub file from the old book record to the new one.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:21 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The exclude_fields_on_paste tweak can be used to control the Edit metadata->Paste action.

Tips: a) search for 'exclude' at the top of Preferences->Tweaks; b) I assigned Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to the Edit Metadata->Copy and Paste

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote