Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Viewer

Notices

Old 02-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #1
tothemoon
tothemoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10th
Storage Location of eBook Viewer Annotations made in Reflow PDFs

I use the Calibre ebook viewer to read (reflowed) pdfs and happily take highlights, export etc.

However I'm wondering where those annotations/highlights are actually being stored?

They reappear when I go in and out of previously edited pdfs, but are they attached to the Calibre app (the pdfs aren't in my library), are they embed in the pdf (other pdf readers can't see em), or what?

I'm opening the files from Zotero (with the ebook viewer as the default reader).

Thanks for your help and time,
tothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
They are not embedded inside pdf files. They wil lbe stored in calibre's database for books in the calibre library or in the viewer settings folder for books not in a calibre library.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #3
tothemoon
tothemoon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 10th
Thanks for the quick reply!

I really like the reading experience in the Viewer for PDFs and am just looking to do due diligence future-proofing it.

Is there a means to insure the PDFs and annotations are permanently retrievable/linked when read with the viewer? (annotations re-import? back them up from settings folder?)

Or does the PDF just need permanently kept in its original location to preserve that link?

I'm flying blind so excuse any stupidity.
tothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, they are keyed by path. If you use a calibre library instead of using the viewer alone, calibre takes care of it for you. Otherwise you have to keep the path fixed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote