Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
tortoise
tortoise began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Question Before the jailbreak: Abnormal battery status

Hello,

I've kept my PW4 on 5.12.4 ever since I've read the kind, capable folks here had found a jailbreak method, and having just now discovered that it's gone public, I'm trying my hand at jailbreaking.

After flashing the diags firmware, my PW4 is showing the following message:

[Text Status] Abnormal battery status.

I was only able to find another instance of this message, a post by @skstrobel

My PW4 still has a few months left on its warranty, so I'm guessing a replacement is a realistic possibility if indeed there is some problem.

Before I proceed, how can I tell whether there's anything wrong with Kindle's battery?
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Don't worry, it's typical
https://m.imgur.com/2gh9VH1
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #3
tortoise

Ok, I was kind of concerned, because lately my battery isn't lasting as long as it used to. But I've been using higher backlight settings, too.

While I was trying to figure out if the battery was OK, I entered developer mode and started the RIT test.

When I tapped on "Stop test execution", the Kindle rebooted and it's currently cycling through some kind of stress test.

Short pressing or long pressing the power button seems to achieve absolutely nothing. It's not recognized by the computer either.

Is there light at the end of this tunnel, or have I screwed the pooch completely?
Old 01-28-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Not familiar with the PW4 diags, but diags has historically required a serial connection to do most of its stuff properly... including *exiting* it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
tortoise

Big sigh of relief! I'm back to the regular diagnostic screen.

Not sure if it's something I did or it just ran out of tests, but it seems OK now.

I'm not even positive why it was stuck in that stress test loop, in the first place, as I specifically tapped "Stop test execution".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Not familiar with the PW4 diags, but diags has historically required a serial connection to do most of its stuff properly... including *exiting* it .
I guess playing around with custom firmwares on Android phones has made me a little trigger happy.

Lesson learnt: don't mess with the Kindle's developer mode!

Thank you!
Advert
Old 01-28-2021, 12:42 PM   #6
ViTALiTY34
ViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and TimeViTALiTY34 possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kindle PW4
I jailbroke mine out of the box and that happened too. No worries.
ViTALiTY34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:35 AM   #7
tortoise

Yesterday I completed the jailbreaking after recovering from that, honestly not very fun, diags rabbit hole I stuck myself into, and I'm now running KOReader.

Thanks everybody, and kudos to all who have helped make jailbreaking not only possible, but such a walk in the park, too.

Tags
abnormalbatterystatus, diags, pw4_jailbreak