Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-26-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Exclamation Is it normal for the Forma to be rather slow when reading PDFs?

I often use it to read RPG pdfs and it takes more than 2 seconds to turn the page sometimes.

This happens even with PDFs that are only 25 MB. Generally academic papers in the 2 MB range or less do fine.

Is this normal behavior? I guess I expected a little more from such an expensive device.

edit: worth mentioning that I read PDFs through Dropbox if it makes a difference
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yes, RMSDK is the worst.

If you're willing, using either KOReader or Plato will offer a tremendously less annoying experience.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you expected better for PDF reading, then it means you didn't do much research before buying the device. The single most common statement about the dedicated e-ink ereaders is that they are terrible for PDF. They are slow and clumsy for anything except the basic PDF. They can work fairly well for PDFs that are formatted for a page size roughly the same size as the screen on the device. If you need to zoom in to be able to read the PDF, then the navigation is just to clumsy.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Don't mind me, wrong thread .

----

Yeah, I'd consider the Forma's form-factor the bare minimum for bearably comfortable PDF handling, and that with decent software (e.g., KOReader/Plato).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
quentinRetro
quentinRetro has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KAO/Forma
Use PLATO .This is the best reading tool can help you with pdf file. i have been using it for half year . The screen only refresh one time per 8 pages. turn page just like turn epub files without any delay .
quentinRetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #6
JawadLeLogeur
Zealot
JawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the roughJawadLeLogeur is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kobo Forma 4.15.12920
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you expected better for PDF reading, then it means you didn't do much research before buying the device. The single most common statement about the dedicated e-ink ereaders is that they are terrible for PDF. They are slow and clumsy for anything except the basic PDF. They can work fairly well for PDFs that are formatted for a page size roughly the same size as the screen on the device. If you need to zoom in to be able to read the PDF, then the navigation is just to clumsy.
I did do research and saw all the PDF warnings, and don't regret my purchase at all. It's amazing for academic PDFs. I'm only having trouble with some larger files.

----

I will definitely try Plato, thanks for letting me know guys.
JawadLeLogeur is offline   Reply With Quote