Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-10-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Padraic73
Padraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Keyboard/Kobo Libra H2O
Just ordered a Kobo Libra H2O

I've had a Kindle Keyboard for the last 10yrs or so, really wanted an Oasis but couldn't justify the price. I used the KK off and on, liked it but I didn't usually have time to read during the day. I do now and the Libra allows me to read at night without waking the wife . The Libra looks like what I need.

I have installed Calibre (4.32) and installed the KoboTouchExtended, DeDRM, Kobo Books, Kobo Utilities and Obok DeDRM plugins. I really only had a handful of books purchased from the amazon store, they all seem to have converted ok by the Calibre viewer.

I have a couple questions:
- Any other plugins I need?
- What are the average shipping times from the Kobo Store?
- Best cover?

Thanks!
Padraic73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:52 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padraic73 View Post
I've had a Kindle Keyboard for the last 10yrs or so, really wanted an Oasis but couldn't justify the price. I used the KK off and on, liked it but I didn't usually have time to read during the day. I do now and the Libra allows me to read at night without waking the wife . The Libra looks like what I need.

I have installed Calibre (4.32) and installed the KoboTouchExtended, DeDRM, Kobo Books, Kobo Utilities and Obok DeDRM plugins. I really only had a handful of books purchased from the amazon store, they all seem to have converted ok by the Calibre viewer.

I have a couple questions:
- Any other plugins I need?
- What are the average shipping times from the Kobo Store?
- Best cover?

Thanks!
Hmmmm... KindleUnpack for converting AZW3 to epub which, for me, often gives better results than a calibre conversion since quite a few AZW3s have the original epub embedded. ModifyEpub which I use instead of Polish. A few others that I added as I found I wanted their functionality.

One item is that I would not upgrade your calibre 4.23 to calibre 5.x until such time as the DeDRM plugins are upgraded to work with Python 3.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmmm... KindleUnpack for converting AZW3 to epub which, for me, often gives better results than a calibre conversion since quite a few AZW3s have the original epub embedded. ModifyEpub which I use instead of Polish. A few others that I added as I found I wanted their functionality.
When I download the KIndleUnpack zip from the MR thread, Calibre won't install it saying it lacks a top-level py file?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
When I download the KIndleUnpack zip from the MR thread, Calibre won't install it saying it lacks a top-level py file?
Using calibre 5.2 or 4.23, kindle_unpack_v0823_plugin.zip (file size:101774 bytes (99 KiB), SHA256: A6E5DC776C7E3F05475400B4744198B7ABD1D9FEA649A6DA6D 7A125E1A3AD7CC) installs without issue for me. This is a manual download from the first message in the KindleUnpack thread.

Opening the file with 7Zip on Windows, the contents do include the __init__.py file. Are you using a Mac or other OS that may be causing issues with opening .zip files?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleUnpack_823.png
Views:	127
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	182633  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-11-2020 at 09:38 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Using calibre 5.2 or 4.23, kindle_unpack_v0823_plugin.zip (file size:101774 bytes (99 KiB), SHA256: A6E5DC776C7E3F05475400B4744198B7ABD1D9FEA649A6DA6D 7A125E1A3AD7CC) installs without issue for me. This is a manual download from the first message in the KindleUnpack thread.

Opening the file with 7Zip on Windows, the contents do include the __init__.py file. Are you using a Mac or other OS that may be causing issues with opening .zip files?
Nope, I was trying with an outdated version of the plugin I had searched here for "KindleUnpack" and found the original thread going way back. Once I found the right version, no problem. THANK YOU!
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Nope, I was trying with an outdated version of the plugin I had searched here for "KindleUnpack" and found the original thread going way back. Once I found the right version, no problem. THANK YOU!
These just went on sale at Kobo (and at Walmart in the U.S.). You might want to consider canceling the order or finding out if there is "price guarantee" option wherever you bought it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Padraic73
Padraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five wordsPadraic73 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kindle Keyboard/Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
These just went on sale at Kobo (and at Walmart in the U.S.). You might want to consider canceling the order or finding out if there is "price guarantee" option wherever you bought it.
I saw the sale this morning and did just as you recommended! Thanks, it should be here tomorrow.
Padraic73 is offline   Reply With Quote