Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-29-2020, 03:38 AM   #1
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Factory reset is not sufficient to overcome a bug (I've been messing around with dict

Hi!

As a polyglot I've installed quite a few unofficial dictionaries by sideloading them instead of those which where preinstalled. I had notably a Swedish dictionary instead of the Portuguese one. But now that the new firmware supports Swedish and adds a dictionary, I could cope with the official one, but sadly a bug impedes me from downloading it (it says the download is pending).

I tried factory reset, but this does not work. At some point I have been messing around with the SQL database, which might now be corrupt, but the factory reset shall have reinitialised it?

Is there anything I could do? Such that deleting some of the files in the ".kobo" folder and rebooting?

Thank you in advance for your help!
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
A factory reset from the Device information screen will format the books partition. That will remove the .kobo directory and its comments and regenerate them when you sign in. There is a more complete factory reset that will also wipe the root partition and install the factory firmware. But, that probably isn't the issue.

Firstly, it isn't a database issue. The database has not been used for the dictionary for several firmware versions. Removing the "dict" and "custom-dict" directories should be enough to remove the any dictionaries you have. Then you would have to download them.

As to the Swedish dictionary, I'm not sure if it is available yet. Trying now, it didn't download. When I go back to the Language and dictionaries, there is a message telling me that a dictionary download is pending. I know someone said they downloaded it, but, I'm not sure exactly how. It might have been available as a mistake or part of some testing and since removed. I think you will need to wait a couple of days.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 05:06 AM   #3
jlemonde
Enthusiast
jlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to beholdjlemonde is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
(···)
As to the Swedish dictionary, I'm not sure if it is available yet. Trying now, it didn't download. When I go back to the Language and dictionaries, there is a message telling me that a dictionary download is pending. I know someone said they downloaded it, but, I'm not sure exactly how. It might have been available as a mistake or part of some testing and since removed. I think you will need to wait a couple of days.
Thank you so much, that would mean that it may be normal. Perhaps it will be available from 1st October as Rakuten may have signed for exploitation rights starting at the beginning of next month! Maybe there is a difference from an "affiliation" to another as well.

I'll wait and see, then!
jlemonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:01 AM   #4
toancv
Connoisseur
toancv began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite, Likebook Mars, Kobo Aura Ed. 2, Kobo Touch
Can someone help to check what has been changed on the chinese language system font for this new FW? For this new FW, I cannot use the customed KBJ-UDKakugo font in the 'fonts' to make chinese characters show correctly in dictionary, book titles, etc, any more. Thanks in advanced!
toancv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Can someone help to check what has been changed on the chinese language system font for this new FW? For this new FW, I cannot use the customed KBJ-UDKakugo font in the 'fonts' to make chinese characters show correctly in dictionary, book titles, etc, any more. Thanks in advanced!
I don't have time to look at that today (or tomorrow), but maybe have a look at the changed dictionary entry CSS in libnickel. You could also try adding a <style> to each entry to set the font with !important and see what happens.

@jackie_w might know something about this.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by toancv View Post
Just to be clear for those of us who don't do this, what exactly are you doing? I probably should know, but, I haven't actually done this for a while.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote