Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Opening in Calibre Editor Prompts Long Dropbox Upload

I keep my Calibre library in a Dropbox folder on my PC. Lately, I've noticed that whenever I open a book in the editor, Dropbox sync will re-upload the file as though it got changed. This upload takes a long time, like, five or ten minutes, and attempting to save my changes in Calibre will fail until the upload is done. My internet connection is otherwise normal.

Has anybody seen this behavior lately? Is it an issue with Calibre or with Dropbox?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I keep my Calibre library in a Dropbox folder on my PC. Lately, I've noticed that whenever I open a book in the editor, Dropbox sync will re-upload the file as though it got changed. This upload takes a long time, like, five or ten minutes, and attempting to save my changes in Calibre will fail until the upload is done. My internet connection is otherwise normal.

Has anybody seen this behavior lately? Is it an issue with Calibre or with Dropbox?
You need to pause syncing when Calibre is open. Otherwise you'll mess up your library. Any background syncing must be stopped while using Calibre.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2020, 09:00 PM   #3
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I mean, I've used Calibre this way for years without issue, so I'm wondering what changed.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Calibre can update the metadata in the book when it is opened. That should trigger the sync. It is an option, so maybe it was turned on recently. Or something reset the option. The option is in the preferences within the editor.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Brittain View Post
I mean, I've used Calibre this way for years without issue, so I'm wondering what changed.
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...rked-drive-nas

Quote:
If you must share the actual library, use a file syncing tool like DropBox or rsync instead of a networked drive. If you are using a file-syncing tool it is essential that you make sure that both calibre and the file syncing tool do not try to access the calibre library at the same time. In other words, do not run the file syncing tool and calibre at the same time.

Even with these tools there is danger of data corruption/loss, so only do this if you are willing to live with that risk. In particular, be aware that Google Drive is incompatible with calibre, if you put your calibre library in Google Drive, you will suffer data loss. See this thread for details.
You have been lucky so far, be glad that is all that happened.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker

Hm, it looks like the issue was caused by the beta version of Dropbox, anyway, so rolling back to stable cleared it up.