Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 07-28-2020, 08:50 AM   #1
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: PocketBok Era, Kindle Oasis 3, Bookeen Diva HD
New: PocketBook Touch Lux 5 (PB 628)

There is another new model from PocketBook - PocketBook Touch Lux 5. It looks like successor of PocketBook Touch Lux 4 and have some new features:
- SMARTlight - the ability to change the color temperature of the frontlight;
- faster processor (dual core 2x1 GHz);
- Legimi app (e-book subscription for Polish and German readers).
It looks the same like other current 6 inch PocketBook ereaders: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/2...alizuje-oferte
Polish officiall reseller shows it as on stock with the price about 125 EUR.
Cyfranek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfranek View Post
There is another new model from PocketBook - PocketBook Touch Lux 5. It looks like successor of PocketBook Touch Lux 4 and have some new features:
- SMARTlight - the ability to change the color temperature of the frontlight;
- faster processor (dual core 2x1 GHz);
- Legimi app (e-book subscription for Polish and German readers).
It looks the same like other current 6 inch PocketBook ereaders: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/2...alizuje-oferte
Polish officiall reseller shows it as on stock with the price about 125 EUR.
So the Touch Lux 5 will basically be a Touch HD3, with a 212 ppi screen and not waterproof (but still with a microSD slot). In rapid succession, PocketBook has released a new 6" Basic reader (no touch, no light), a 6" Color reader and a 6" "mid-range" upgrade — all using the same case dimensions and style. This is after releasing a 10.3" reader not too long ago. PocketBook has definitely taken the lead in innovation. Let's see how Amazon and Kobo respond.

If the Touch Lux 5 sells for somewhere near the price of the Touch Lux 4 it's definitely the one I would look to buy. (I don't need waterproofing and and I find the 212 ppi fine on the older PocketBooks I own.)

EDIT: One other big difference between the Touch Lux 5 and Touch HD3, the HD3 has sound (TTF and Audio books).

GoodEReader is already taking orders for these. $150 with shipping ($130 + $20). I wonder if Newegg will sell these?

https://goodereader.com/blog/product...ok-touch-lux-5

Last edited by rcentros; 07-28-2020 at 09:28 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #3
Cyfranek
Groupie
Cyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseCyfranek juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So the Touch Lux 5 will basically be a Touch HD3, with a 212 ppi screen and not waterproof...
PocketBook Touch Lux 5 is still much closer to Touch Lux 4 because there is no audio support as well (as in Touch HD 3 via BT and minijack adapter).
Old 07-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
PocketBook Touch Lux 5 is still much closer to Touch Lux 4 because there is no audio support as well (as in Touch HD 3 via BT and minijack adapter).
Yep, I realized that after I posted (I've already edited my post). The sound and waterproofing are not that big deals to me, and I'm finding that 212 ppi works fine with PocketBook's font rendering. So a Touch Lux 5 with warm lights would be good enough (I think – I may still change my mind).

But if I wait another couple more months who knows what PocketBook will come out with? Their pace of innovation is incredible right now. I know they're huge in Russia (and it looks like Poland, as well) but I'm wondering how they could take off in the U.S. I would love to see them give Amazon a run for their money.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #5
Cyfranek
Groupie

Quote:
but I'm wondering how they could take off in the U.S. I would love to see them give Amazon a run for their money.
US market is so monopolized. I think it would be very difficult to enter with real success seeing Kobo and Walmart's failure.
Advert
Old 07-28-2020, 11:49 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
US market is so monopolized. I think it would be very difficult to enter with real success seeing Kobo and Walmart's failure.
You're probably right about PocketBook, but I don't know for sure if Kobo/Walmart is a complete failure. Apparently Kobo has been doing very well, and it seems like Amazon is putting their eReaders on sale a lot more than they used to — almost like they feel a need to compete.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #7
Cyfranek
Groupie

Quote:
Apparently Kobo has been doing very well, and it seems like Amazon is putting their eReaders on sale a lot more than they used to — almost like they feel a need to compete.
Wow that's nice. I've read it's quite hard to find any Kobos in Walmart's stores and I've found only Kindles during my last visit in California. Anyway keeping fingers crossed because I like Kobo anyway
Old 07-28-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem IMHO is they are all 6". They should be at least 7".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem IMHO is they are all 6". They should be at least 7".
I like 6" readers — but I just realized that PocketBook doesn't have a 7" reader. they jump from 6" to 8" to 10". Now that I think about it, it seems a little odd for a company that offers so many models.

I like my 6.8" Kobo Aura HD, but the 6" screens seem more convenient for traveling and are lighter when reading for several hours. My limited experience with my one 8" reader is that it's just too big and uncomfortable to hold for long stretches of time.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Wow that's nice. I've read it's quite hard to find any Kobos in Walmart's stores and I've found only Kindles during my last visit in California. Anyway keeping fingers crossed because I like Kobo anyway
I don't think any Walmart store sells Kindles now. Best Buy has them and (I think) Staples may still sell a model (or two) in-store, but that's about it. (Just checked Staples, it doesn't look like they sell in-store any more either.) So, in the U.S., you basically buy an eReader online, unless you have a Best Buy nearby – then you can buy a Kindle model. That's it for in-store "choices."

Forgot. You can also go to a Barnes & Noble (if you have one in your area) and buy a Nook.
Old 07-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't think any Walmart store sells Kindles now. Best Buy has them and (I think) Staples may still sell a model (or two) in-store, but that's about it. (Just checked Staples, it doesn't look like they sell in-store any more either.) So, in the U.S., you basically buy an eReader online, unless you have a Best Buy nearby – then you can buy a Kindle model. That's it for in-store "choices."

Forgot. You can also go to a Barnes & Noble (if you have one in your area) and buy a Nook.
Amazon also has some B&M stores.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Amazon also has some B&M stores.
So, altogether, about 1,675 locations available for buying Kindles or Nooks "in-store." 627 Barnes & Nobles, 997 Best Buys and about 40 Amazon B&M stores.

I guess I'm lucky. Boise has a Best Buy AND a Barnes & Noble. Up until the end of 2019 there was also a Walmart in the area that carried Kobo Aura 2s "in-store." Of course that was about 20 miles away from Boise (in Caldwell, Idaho).

EDIT: It looks like Target is selling Kindle Paperwhites and Amazon Fires "in-store" now, so that's potentially another 1,800 more locations (I don't know if every location stocks them or not). I know in 2012 Target quit selling Kindles, I didn't realize that in 2016 they started selling them again. I guess I haven't been in a Target in five or six years. These three Targets in my area where I could go pick up a Paperwhite tomorrow if I wanted to.

Apparently the best Best Buy can do is have a Kindle ready for pickup at the store by about August 5th — that's on all models, so I guess they're not currently carrying Kindles in the Boise store at all. (Maybe they're still not open for walk-in business?)

Last edited by rcentros; 07-29-2020 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:49 PM   #13
cassini
Enthusiast
cassini began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3
Could you tell me what is/are the main difference/s between TL5 and TL4? I found some small changes in size of reader's body only. Or there is new firmware 6? But is is in TL4 also.
cassini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:07 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I like 6" readers — but I just realized that PocketBook doesn't have a 7" reader. they jump from 6" to 8" to 10". Now that I think about it, it seems a little odd for a company that offers so many models.

I like my 6.8" Kobo Aura HD, but the 6" screens seem more convenient for traveling and are lighter when reading for several hours. My limited experience with my one 8" reader is that it's just too big and uncomfortable to hold for long stretches of time.
But the Forma at 8" is a lighter then the Aura H2O. And the Forma is only 42g heavier then the Touch Lux 5.

I do think that PB should have a 7" and an 8" Reader. It goes 6", 7.8", 10.3 at present.

Given that the Libra and Forma as selling and the Oasis 3 is selling, it seems that the 6" Reader may not be long for this world. I think 7" should replace 6".
Old 07-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

There are some Amazon stores where you can buy a Kindle. Also, you can buy a B&N in store. And with Staples and Walmart, you can do a ship to store and pick up at the store.

Staples does not sell the Oasis. It's not listed on their website.

But most people will order online. There's no going to the store to check them out unless it's a Kindle or Walmart has an in-store display which I am not sure of.