Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
scruffs
Connoisseur
scruffs doesn't litterscruffs doesn't litter

Device: ePUB Kindle and iBooks
Question Force sans serif on Kindle apps and devices

Rather than bother with custom fonts, I'd like to force Kindle apps and Kindle devices to open a book in sans serif rather than a serif font.

The trick must be in CSS fallback, but pointers would be appreciated. Tests I have tried have worked in KP3 but failed once uploaded to KDP.

THX chaps
scruffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffs View Post
Rather than bother with custom fonts, I'd like to force Kindle apps and Kindle devices to open a book in sans serif rather than a serif font.

The trick must be in CSS fallback, but pointers would be appreciated. Tests I have tried have worked in KP3 but failed once uploaded to KDP.

THX chaps
Just pick a sans serif from the font list and you'll be reading with sans-serif.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #3
scruffs
Connoisseur

Thanks JSW - you are always first with a response!

What I wanted to do was ensure that san-serif is displayed when the book is opened (rather than the serif default. iBooks as well, so in CSS I have:

font-family: sans-serif, "Helvetica", "San Francisco";

Will that do it? It seems to revert back to the serif default when I publish.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

What I wanted to do was ensure that san-serif is displayed when the book is opened (rather than the serif default. iBooks as well, so in CSS I have:

You want to force your readers to read with sans-serif, regardless of their preferences?
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You want to force your readers to read with sans-serif, regardless of their preferences?
As a reader, I would hate that.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2020, 02:22 PM   #6
scruffs
Connoisseur

Users can always select a different font, as they can now. So they can override.

But telling a book designer to use the same fonts is like telling motor manufacturers to make all their cars the same colour.

So, for clarity, I am looking to override the (awful) serif default.

Last edited by scruffs; 06-28-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a bad idea and will annoy your readers for sure. The best practice is not to define the body font in the css at all and leave the font choice in the hands of your readers. You can define the font used in headlines or in specific parts of text (like a letter, for example). But don't force your general font preference on your readers, it will only irritate them.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't forget to add a lovely background color to all of the pages by using some css on the body tag.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

The the body style, you can use...
Code:
  font-family: sans-serif;
But that uses the default sans-serif font.

Can this be overridden on older Kindles such as the K2, DX, K3, K4, Kindle Touch all with significantly older firmware?

Also, when I see an eBook that is set to use a sans-serif font, I think that whoever made it hasn't a clue.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-28-2020 at 03:18 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:20 PM   #10
scruffs
Connoisseur

Thanks, JSW! I know it is the default sans, but that is better than serif for this particular book.

Design is much maligned - right up until people make a consumer choice!
Old 06-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I am curious why you want this ability (and as an Amazon customer I am glad that you do not have it.)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #12
scruffs
Connoisseur

I am removing nothing from the consumers. I am merely specifying the default font family for the book.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:50 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
As things stand now I as a consumer can pick the font I want to be used for all books I read with one of the choices being to let the publisher set the font. It seems that you want to reverse that and have the publisher make the default choice that the reader would need to override for each book. That would be taking something away from the customer.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I am removing nothing from the consumers. I am merely specifying the default font family for the book.
As I said, poor idea, but unfortunately one many overeager book designers do. Ebooks really don't need any default font specified, unlike paper books.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
scruffs
Connoisseur

You are entitled to your opinion, of course. I base mine on 30 years' experience in design and understanding what users want.

Tags
kindle font