Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2020, 12:08 AM   #1
cosine
cosine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Remote Page Turner Prototype

I've been looking for a way to remotely turn the pages on my Kindle. I saw KindleLazy, but unfortunately it looks like the newer Kindles have been locked down pretty tight.

I've been working on a hardware remote page turner that would work for any touch screen e-reader. This prototype is on a breadboard, but it will be packaged into something nicer for real usage.

Right now, I'm controlling it using an iPhone. It could potentially be extended to work with Android and other remotes.

Here's a video showing the core functionality: https://youtu.be/bNfeJDhpqjg

Is there any interest in this? What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2020-06-15-22h36m35s635.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	179930

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-16-2020 at 05:37 AM.
cosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
I fricking love it. What kind of wires do you have taped to the screen?
It could be built into a paperwhite case, or a oasis sleeve of some wor, and just live in the very corners.

does it just apply 3v or how does it actually trigger the "touch"?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #3
idab
Banned
idab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Paperwhite 3
What's the point? You need to be close enough to read it anyway. This seems like a waste of time.
idab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #4
cosine
cosine began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I fricking love it. What kind of wires do you have taped to the screen?
It could be built into a paperwhite case, or a oasis sleeve of some wor, and just live in the very corners.

does it just apply 3v or how does it actually trigger the "touch"?
Thanks. Glad to see some people like the functionality. Building it into a case is a neat idea. Right now, the device is on a clip so it can attach to various different readers and even cell phones.

Here's a picture of it being tested on a phone:

Those are normal wires connected to a conductive pad made of tin foil. It works by grounding the screen whenever a page turn is triggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idab View Post
What's the point? You need to be close enough to read it anyway. This seems like a waste of time.
It's for user comfort when you don't want to touch the screen to turn the page. For example, if you have it mounted somewhere and don't want to lift your hand up every time to turn the page.
cosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 06:02 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yes, I could certainly see uses for this! I'm following the thread.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2020, 07:32 PM   #6
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
When I was doing my jailbreak version of this, my idea was to use it on a treadmill. Since Lifting my arms and swiping or tapping every N seconds was uncomfortable, but just holding a clicker in my hand sounded like it would be much more comfortable.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 04:39 AM   #7
idab
Banned
idab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic somethingidab has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
When I was doing my jailbreak version of this, my idea was to use it on a treadmill. Since Lifting my arms and swiping or tapping every N seconds was uncomfortable, but just holding a clicker in my hand sounded like it would be much more comfortable.
Okay this seems like a legit reason. The dude laying in bed not wanting to lift his hands seemed like something out of Black Mirror.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:11 PM   #8
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Okay this seems like a legit reason. The dude laying in bed not wanting to lift his hands seemed like something out of Black Mirror.
You've never heard of sickbeds?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
idab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
You've never heard of sickbeds?
You can already buy remote controlled momentary switch buttons for $10.99 (with remote) on Amazon.

These would replace the page turn buttons on an Oasis without issue.

OP is just being silly
Old 01-25-2021, 04:57 PM   #10
Kindlefanboy
Kindlefanboy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosine View Post
I've been looking for a way to remotely turn the pages on my Kindle. I saw KindleLazy, but unfortunately it looks like the newer Kindles have been locked down pretty tight.

I've been working on a hardware remote page turner that would work for any touch screen e-reader. This prototype is on a breadboard, but it will be packaged into something nicer for real usage.

Right now, I'm controlling it using an iPhone. It could potentially be extended to work with Android and other remotes.

Here's a video showing the core functionality: https://youtu.be/bNfeJDhpqjg

Is there any interest in this? What do you guys think?

Attachment 179930
Hi Cosine, did you manage to get it working? I love the idea of a remote control page turner, but I'm using the 5th Gen Kindle Paperwhite so not sure whether there is a compatible device.

Thanks in advance.
Kindlefanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:30 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
You can already buy remote controlled momentary switch buttons for $10.99 (with remote) on Amazon.

These would replace the page turn buttons on an Oasis without issue.

OP is just being silly
Do you have a link for that device?

I did not know that such a remote page turn device already exists for the oasis.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-25-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Do you have a link for that device?

I did not know that such a remote page turn device already exists for the oasis.
idab won't be answering because:
1) no such device exists for oasis, or any recent Kindle.
2) he got banned for being unpleasant, as he demonstrated on this thread.

OP don't be put off by his very unpleasant and inaccurate comments. A lot of people would be interested in your work.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
Alaxander609
Alaxander609 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
This is awesome - would like to get this done to my PW3 build in to the case.

can you please share the details on schematic & how this is possible ?
Alaxander609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:18 AM   #14
Alaxander609
Alaxander609 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
did some research - won't be best if we can get ground from Adrino & regular it with N channel FET ???

Please share the schematics - don't leave us hanging bro
Alaxander609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 06:48 AM   #15
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Interesting...
cosine is using little reed relays to switch the contact to ground.
It's not a bad approach, but then you have the capacitance of the lead wire.
I did a similar thing using forward/reverse pair of diodes directly at the contact point.
I used adhesive copper tape that I punched with a notebook hole puncher.
There are some use cases for this stick-on automation, but I'd prefer not to encumber the screeen.

Nowadays, a Bluetooth clicker is the solution.
You could make a WiFi daemon to listen and inject keys.
You could also make a USB HID peripheral to send PgUp/PgDn.
(You can even just gut a USB keyboard that's in the trash and put two buttons on it.)
You can put in a connector for serial console and connect a little command injector.
You could parallel the hard keys in the device.
Outside of that, I can't think how you could do it.
Renate is online now   Reply With Quote