Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2020, 02:34 PM   #1
iG0R
Enthusiast
iG0R began at the beginning.

Device: PC
E-book viewer: clicking on image to evoke "View image" window.

Hi, Kovid.
I saw a few posts asking zooming images by more simple way then present in Calibre for now and decided to give my +1 vote in this challenge
Please, could it be implemented by any way you like but not so complicated: Right click -> move cursor to View image option -> Left click -> View image window.
E.g.:
1. like it was in Edge browser before Epub support was removed - hover over desired image (cursor changes to magnifier) -> Left click -> Window with enlarged image
2. like in Picviewer CE+ https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/24204-picviewer-ce

And is it possible to memorize View image window's position and size even after exit Calibre?

Best regards, Igor.
iG0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I can certainly have the popup remember its geometry, but am not a fan of click to zoom, clicks have many other purposes and overloading them can be very annoying.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
iG0R
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I can certainly have the popup remember its geometry, but am not a fan of click to zoom, clicks have many other purposes and overloading them can be very annoying.
Maybe it would be more logical to use double click on an image like it implemented for looking up words?
Old 04-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Double clicking selects a word, doesn't do a lookup, but yeah that might possibly be do-able for images, open a bug report for it and i will look into it the next time I am in the area of code.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #5
iG0R
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Double clicking selects a word, doesn't do a lookup, but yeah that might possibly be do-able for images, open a bug report for it and i will look into it the next time I am in the area of code.
Thank you!
Advert
Old 04-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Control + or Control double left click to Zoom, Control - or Control double right click to shrink.
I expect double clicks to open something, never zoom. Single click select, or if right click, context menu. A middle button/scroll wheel click should open in a new window.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
iG0R
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Control + or Control double left click to Zoom, Control - or Control double right click to shrink.
I expect double clicks to open something, never zoom. Single click select, or if right click, context menu. A middle button/scroll wheel click should open in a new window.
Not all users on PC utilize keyboard during reading but also touchscreens hence using Ctrl + something no way comfortable in these cases.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
iG0R
Enthusiast

I suggested to evoke(open) "Image view" window by double clicking on an image, hence it matches with what you said "I expect double clicks to open something".
Old 04-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iG0R View Post
I suggested to evoke(open) "Image view" window by double clicking on an image, hence it matches with what you said "I expect double clicks to open something".
Zoom is getting bigger in same window, "open" is a new window or application.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iG0R View Post
Not all users on PC utilize keyboard during reading but also touchscreens hence using Ctrl + something no way comfortable in these cases.
This is why a Touch device and keyboard + mouse device needs a DIFFERENT GUI. The Windows 8 / Windows 10 attempt at a hybrid GUI is a failure.

Touchscreens on real laptops are thankfully rare, except on hybrid models that turn into a tablet.

Touch is a more limited GUI unless there are obvious gestures as there is generally no hover, no right click, no middle click etc and no modifiers.

Applications should either be designed for real touch UI OS, such as iOS or Android, or designed for keyboard+ Mouse, the traditional GUI invented by Xerox in 1976. Used on BSD, Solaris, RiscOS, MacOS, Beos, Windows up till 7, Linux and others.

An application that tries to satisfy touch and traditional WIMP GUI will be an abomination.

Also a TV needs a 3rd kind of GUI.

Monitor screens with touch are only suitable for interactive displays, POS etc and are a waste for normal OS use with a keyboard and mouse.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #11
iG0R
Enthusiast

Quote:
This is why a Touch device and keyboard + mouse device needs a DIFFERENT GUI. The Windows 8 / Windows 10 attempt at a hybrid GUI is a failure.

Touchscreens on real laptops are thankfully rare, except on hybrid models that turn into a tablet.

Touch is a more limited GUI unless there are obvious gestures as there is generally no hover, no right click, no middle click etc and no modifiers.

Applications should either be designed for real touch UI OS, such as iOS or Android, or designed for keyboard+ Mouse, the traditional GUI invented by Xerox in 1976. Used on BSD, Solaris, RiscOS, MacOS, Beos, Windows up till 7, Linux and others.

An application that tries to satisfy touch and traditional WIMP GUI will be an abomination.

Also a TV needs a 3rd kind of GUI.

Monitor screens with touch are only suitable for interactive displays, POS etc and are a waste for normal OS use with a keyboard and mouse.
For now we were talking about Calibre on PC, there wasn't any references about development history of GUI, nor about TV, POS etc. Only about Calibre on PC which could be controlled either by keyboard, mouse, touchpad or touchscreen. At the same time touchpad and touchscreen could emulate mouse clicks (single or double click) not keyboard Ctrl, Alt etc.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
iG0R
Enthusiast

Quote:
Zoom is getting bigger in same window, "open" is a new window or application.
Could you elaborate what did you imply under this statement in response to my "I suggested to evoke(open) "Image view" window by double clicking on an image, hence it matches with what you said "I expect double clicks to open something"."?
Old 04-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Zoom is making an element or the page bigger. It's not "opening". Opening creates a different context, usually on a WIMP destop GUI using a different application. Zoom thus shouldn't be a double click on a desktop GUI. It can be appropriate on a dedicated gadget such as an eink ereader to zoom an element/image with a double tap, but not in an ereader program on a regular desktop using the WIMP GUI interface, which every desktop Windowing OS from 1976 did. MS started to make confusion on Win8 and Win10 by hybridising the desktop with phone/tablet GUI elements which is stupid.

I had a win 10 tablet. Only the stupid unwanted tile apps and widgets worked properly with touch. Anything where you wanted Windows instead of Android or iOS needed the keyboard dock (which had an unusable touch pad, no separate left & right buttons and tap poor) and a mouse. So a netbook was or small laptop was more use.
I gave it away.

Calibre and its ereader isn't a phone/tablet app. It's a real desktop application for Windows, Mac and Linux. It would be confusing and counterproductive if it was programmed like a single window fills screen touch based app for iOS/Android.