Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
XmaX
XmaX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Can I sideload an AZW3 file to Kindle on Android or to the Kindle library?

Of course I know I can do it with a .mobi file quite easily, but I recently found out that by using AZW3 I can read using Word Runner. Apparently it's not possible to send AZW3 to a Kindle email address. On my Kindle Fire, I can open it directly with Docs, but it doesn't then sync with the Kindle library. I tried accessing my Amazon Drive on the Android app, but the file doesn't open in the Kindle app. I also tried manually putting the .azw3 file into some of the Kindle folders on my Android phone, but wherever I put it, the app doesn't detect it.
XmaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Yes. I do it all the time. You can put it in the Kindle folder on your Android phone/tablet directly (sometimes it takes a little while before appearing in the library). Of course it won't sync then.

The alternative is using email or the Send-to-Kindle desktop app. You can't send the azw3, but you can change the file extension of the epub file from .epub to .txt and send it that way. You should receive your book in the awz3 format. Unfortunately this method sometimes fails (the book won't arrive).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 02:57 PM   #3
Flaviocc
Zealot
Flaviocc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PPW5 / Kobo Aura One
I tried:

epub - changing to .txt - send to kindle or send to kindle email address - fails sometimes.

epub - changing to .png - works all the times via send to kindle app.

With that method I have sync but don't have covers at Kindle PW4, covers on Kindle Android and Kindle iOS are showing.
Flaviocc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:33 AM   #4
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Exclamation AZW3 cannot be sideload to Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by XmaX View Post
Of course I know I can do it with a .mobi file quite easily, but I recently found out that by using AZW3 I can read using Word Runner. Apparently it's not possible to send AZW3 to a Kindle email address. On my Kindle Fire, I can open it directly with Docs, but it doesn't then sync with the Kindle library. I tried accessing my Amazon Drive on the Android app, but the file doesn't open in the Kindle app. I also tried manually putting the .azw3 file into some of the Kindle folders on my Android phone, but wherever I put it, the app doesn't detect it.
I can confirm the same experience: azw3 cannot be side-loaded to Kindle app on iPhone. I converted a text file to AZW3, using iTunes File Sharing to load to Kindle. I cannot see it in Kindle app. I converted the same text file to mobi, using File Sharing in iTunes, and it appeared in Kindle app.

I tried on multiple iOS devices. The conclusion is, for Kindle app for iOS, the azw3 files cannot be side-loaded. Mobi format is fine.

Last edited by tao; 02-03-2021 at 09:34 AM. Reason: typo
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
If you use Calibre, you can change the output options to include the original epub in the mobi file which will then be larger than before, but your kindle devices will actually display the original epub file then. The only exception would be if you have a kindle that is so old, that it only supports mobi v7.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #6
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
If you use Calibre, you can change the output options to include the original epub in the mobi file which will then be larger than before, but your kindle devices will actually display the original epub file then. The only exception would be if you have a kindle that is so old, that it only supports mobi v7.
How do you include the Epub file in the Mobi conversion? I'm not seeing that as an option in the Mobi output settings.
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:08 AM   #7
Dave_the_rave
Dave_the_rave began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis (10th Generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofrobot View Post
How do you include the Epub file in the Mobi conversion? I'm not seeing that as an option in the Mobi output settings.
Bump! Yes i would also like to know. The MOBI format isnt very good when converting from ePub, it lost so much formating that way. I want to find a way that can either let me send AZW3 or ePub directly perhaps through changing extensions?
Dave_the_rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:17 AM   #8
Sonofrobot
Connoisseur
Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Sonofrobot is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_the_rave View Post
Bump! Yes i would also like to know. The MOBI format isnt very good when converting from ePub, it lost so much formating that way. I want to find a way that can either let me send AZW3 or ePub directly perhaps through changing extensions?
After messing around with it a little more, I found where you can include "both" old and new mobi versions in the output settings. From what I gather, this puts an older mobi file and the new KF8 format into One file which you can email to your Kindle. If you have a newer model Kindle, it will use the newer and much better KF8 format.
Sonofrobot is offline   Reply With Quote