Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
interro
interro began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 PC & Android 10 Essential PH-1
Unhappy Unhandled Exception Error

Since updating to Calibre 4.12, every time I select a book or try to use the search bar, I get the following error:

calibre, version 4.10.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 22] Invalid argument

calibre 4.10.1 [64bit] embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-10-10.0.18362-SP0 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '10', '10.0.18362')
Python 2.7.16+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.18362', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Gather KFX-ZIP (from KFX Input) (1, 31, 0) && DeDRM (6, 6, 3) && Package KFX (from KFX Input) (1, 31, 0) && KFX metadata reader (from KFX Input) (1, 31, 0) && KFX Input (1, 31, 0) && Count Pages (1, 9, 0) && Set KFX metadata (from KFX Output) (1, 40, 0) && KFX Output (1, 40, 0)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 577, in current_changed
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 562, in get_book_display_info
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\library\models.py", line 740, in cover
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 339, in cover
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 682, in cover
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 723, in copy_cover_to
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1401, in copy_cover_to
File "shutil.py", line 63, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

After getting the error numerous times and finding no solutions online, I downgraded to 4.10.1 but continued to receive the error (as you can see in the copied message above). I have Python downloaded on my PC, so I tried upgrading to Python 3.8.2, but that also didn't change anything.

I have my Calibre library set as a folder in my Box drive (because I found that to be the best way to sync with my phone and other devices). I think this may be what is causing the issue (although I don't know why, because it gave me no problems previously), but ran into yet another error when I tried to move the library to a local folder in my Documents:

calibre, version 4.10.1
ERROR: Failed to move library: There was an error while moving the library. The operation has been aborted. Click "Show details" for details.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\dialogs\choose_library.py", line 145, in do_move
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 62, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 2033, in move_library_to
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1788, in move_library_to
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 629, in copytree_using_links
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 570, in copyfile
File "shutil.py", line 98, in copyfile
File "shutil.py", line 63, in copyfileobj
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Thanks for any help you can give me!
interro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You have probably run into the reason that Cloud/shares are not recommended.

OK (with Calibre shut down)
Use the OS to copy the ENTIRE Library folder (the one with metadata.db) from where it is to a New folder on a Local drive.
The folder name will be the Library name once used.

Start Calibre (assumes it does not crash during start). If it does, you will need to use a command prompt window
Code:
calibre --with-library <full path to the library folder>
Once there that way, I am not sure how to make this the new default using Create/switch: use existing: <the new library folder>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 05:04 PM   #3
interro

I've been trying on and off to copy/paste the library since originally posting. Unfortunately, File Explorer keeps running into issues and I end up having to click the "Try Again" button at least twice for each and every book. You can imagine this would be quite frustrating for a library of 850 books. Currently trying to speed the process up, will update as soon as it's done. Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 03-17-2020, 05:16 PM   #4
interro

So in trying to figure out why I was unable to copy/paste my library, I made the Box Drive available online, hoping that would help. I was copy/pasting chunks of folders as they finished loading. Then I thought I should see what Calibre thought of the newly offline folders. It seems to have solved my original issue! I am no longer getting the Unhandled Exception error when I highlight a book name with the cursor!

Thank you to theducks for responding so fast to help me. I think the issue's resolved, at least for now (as there may be unintended consequences, whoops).
Old 03-17-2020, 05:48 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Run Library Maintenance (on the Library Icon)

Fix things soonest. Ask (with the checks error message) if in doubt
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by interro View Post
Since updating to Calibre 4.12, every time I select a book or try to use the search bar, I get the following error:

calibre, version 4.10.1
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 22] Invalid argument
You might to check the number of threads about not running calibre with it's library on a cloud drive/NAS/whatever other way of avoiding using local storage you can come up with.

It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-17-2020 at 11:04 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote