Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-11-2020, 02:59 AM   #1
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
Find and replace a specific character in tags?

I have been using Calibre for many years, and I literally just discovered hierarchical tags. I have nearly 5000 books tagged using non-hierarchical tags, with ">" in place of "." for genres and subgenres. For example:

nonfiction>science>physics

Is there a way to automatically find and replace all instances of ">" with "." in my tags column, or am I going to have to go through each entry and manually change them all?

Thanks,
mdclanahan
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 AM   #2
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
I have been using Calibre for many years, and I literally just discovered hierarchical tags. I have nearly 5000 books tagged using non-hierarchical tags, with ">" in place of "." for genres and subgenres. For example:

nonfiction>science>physics

Is there a way to automatically find and replace all instances of ">" with "." in my tags column, or am I going to have to go through each entry and manually change them all?

Thanks,
mdclanahan
1) On your library, select all your books (CTRL+A)
2) Click on the Edit Metadata button
3) Search and Replace tab
4) Search field: tags
5) Search for: >
6) Replace with: .

Done.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
1) On your library, select all your books (CTRL+A)
2) Click on the Edit Metadata button
3) Search and Replace tab
4) Search field: tags
5) Search for: >
6) Replace with: .

Done.
Thank you so much!
Old 03-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

One more question about hierarchical tags and the content server:
I have some books that are only in nonfiction.politics and some books that are one or more levels deeper. When browsing by tags on the content server, I can't seem to look at books that are only in nonfiction.politics -- the only option seems to be to choose one of the deepest sublevels of the hierarchy. Does this structure not make it impossible, in my case, to browse books that are in nonfiction.politics but not in any sublevel of nonfiction.politics?
Old 03-11-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
mdclanahan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclanahan View Post
One more question about hierarchical tags and the content server:
I have some books that are only in nonfiction.politics and some books that are one or more levels deeper. When browsing by tags on the content server, I can't seem to look at books that are only in nonfiction.politics -- the only option seems to be to choose one of the deepest sublevels of the hierarchy. Does this structure not make it impossible, in my case, to browse books that are in nonfiction.politics but not in any sublevel of nonfiction.politics?
One solution, I guess, is a manual search for tags:"=nonfiction.politics" but I still can't seem to browse to the books in that level of the hierarchy.

Last edited by mdclanahan; 03-11-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Advert