Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-02-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Firmware 4.20.14601 has been released

Looking at geek1011's Kobo Firmware Download page, it is showing that 4.20.14601 is now available for all devices other than the Kobo Mini.

The Kobo Desktop application for Windows is also updated to Kobo Desktop 4.20.12714.

Last edited by DNSB; 03-02-2020 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added desktop app update
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Firmware 4.20.14601

Kobo firmware 4.20.14601 has been released. As of March 2, 2020, it has been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma, and the Kobo Libra H2O. It has not been released to the Kobo Mini. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2020, 02:26 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes:

Series view:

Browse your Kobo books by series. Visit My Books > Series to get started.

Choose between List view or Cover view in the […] Menu at the top right.

When viewing books in a series, you can find more books in that series by tapping the 'More in this Series' link.

Dictionary:

When you press and hold a word while reading, you'll see the definition pop up, with a fresh new look.

You'll find access to the full dictionary view, Google search, and Wikipedia search.

Wi Fi:

Fixed: Some Wi Fi 2.4GHz networks were not appearing when attempting to scan or connect.

Reported equipment included Freebox routers, and routers running OpenWrt software.

Battery:

Your Kobo eReader's battery might have have been draining faster than expected while you weren't using it. We've put some fixes in place to help make sure you can pick up your book where you left off.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Patches will most likely be out tonight. And I guess I'll need to look at the dictionary stuff again... hopefully they fixed the bugs I found.

That series view is quite useful, though.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:29 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That is one of the most detailed release notes I've seen.
Advert
Old 03-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
IanScuffling
Enthusiast
IanScuffling began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Interesting about the battery. I have noticed that my Aura HD has been draining the battery more quickly lately, but who knows the true cause?
IanScuffling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I wonder if they have fixed the custom font bug introduced with the previous update? I didn't update because of that.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some of my notes (from https://github.com/geek1011/kobopatc...es/issues/48):
  • The new selection menu is nice. The selection now appears with a solid black background rather than an underline, and the menu is now more compact, with submenus instead of tabs. Selecting text is also faster, but moving the selection vertically is buggy, as it triggers the menu gestures.
  • The new dictionary view is more streamlined, but is still just as small (it does have a fullscreen button, though). I haven't checked the functionality or if this is patchable yet. The extra dictionaries bug still remains, though (the one which requires a patch to fix the space splitting). Pagination is now vertical, similar to the settings pages (and has a scrollbar rather than a page number).
  • The font menu now appears on the top of the screen, and has increased padding. I'm not sure if I like this or not yet. The stats view shows at the top too.
  • I haven't noticed any bugs in the new series view yet (and it's pretty nice).
  • The interface is slightly faster for some actions, including closing a book.
  • Touchscreen accuracy on the A2v1, and probably others, has been improved.
  • Image tags in dictionaries with non-dict:/// URLs don't segfault the inline dictionary anymore, but dict:/// images still don't display either (the same bug as what was happening with the full-screen dictionary). The same thing happens when they are in an iframe.
  • Base64 images work perfectly now! (they don't segfault, and they work in both dictionary views)
  • Remotely hosted images work perfectly as well.
  • Background colors now work properly (but I don't really see why one would use them).
  • Font weight changes don't need a reboot to apply anymore (this was a bug).

Last edited by geek1011; 03-02-2020 at 05:41 PM. Reason: font weight changes
Old 03-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
barsanuphe
Connoisseur
barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.barsanuphe writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: PW2, Kobo H20, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanScuffling View Post
Interesting about the battery. I have noticed that my Aura HD has been draining the battery more quickly lately, but who knows the true cause?
On my Forma I've been experiencing almost immediate draining (100% to 1% in less than a day), but without any real impact as it can keep that last 1% for days and days... I just have no way to know when it's really at 1% and is about to die.
I thought it was a faulty hardware sensor or something like that, but seeing this update, I hope it fixes it.
barsanuphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I hope this will take care of the wifi issues I've had. When you live in an apartment building and the Kobo doesn't see any networks at all on the first attempt to sync, you know something's not right.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Thank you for your notes. Has the bug in adjusting the font weight been fixed so we no longer have to reboot to get the new setting to take effect?
Old 03-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you for your notes. Has the bug in adjusting the font weight been fixed so we no longer have to reboot to get the new setting to take effect?
Yes, and changing font settings is now faster as well.
Old 03-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post

Copyright at the bottom of your page says 2019.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Copyright at the bottom of your page says 2019.
Thanks, fixed.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Of course this is released when I'm at work. I started long notes on this during the beta, but, it is on my home computer and not accessible from work. The release notes, and @geek1011's post covers a lot, but, there is more. I'll post from memory and update it later from my other notes. The main one I want to mention in the Series Tab.

New Features:
  • Series Tab
    • This displays a list of series with a cover, the author and the number of books in the series that are on the device.
    • There are list and cover views.
    • Tapping an entry opens the series and shows the book.
    • The list can be sorted by Series Title, Number of Books and Recent (based on the books in the lists)
    • The list is not based directly on the series name. It is actually built from an id in the database. This means that sideloaded books will not be in series list until a method is added to update this id. This should be in the next version of calibre.
  • Selecting text is now done as reverse video instead of underlining.
  • Selection pop-up menu has been reorganised.
  • Dictionary popup has changed.
    • Uses scroll bar if the text doesn't fit in the popup.
    • Button for searching Google or Wikipedia with the selected text.
    • Button to show the definition in full screen.
  • Footnote popup uses scrollbar for longer notes.
  • WiFi fixes.
  • End of book for purchased kepubs:
    • End of book prompt for rating/review has been changed.
    • If closing a book when more than 90% finished, will be prompted whether you want to mark it as finished. (Handy if there is a lot of aftermatter to skip.)
  • Popups for in-book progress, font settings and zoom bar (PDF and images) have been moved to the top of the screen.
  • All Beta Features available on all devices if Developers Mode is turned.
    • Note: Kobo makes no claims that they will work properly on the newer devices.
    • My note: Do not start playing Unblock It. It is a blackhole for time.

Fixed bugs:
  • Sorting the author list is now case insensitive.
  • Changing font weights in epubs happens immediately.
  • Fix orientation bug for left-handed user reading on their side with locked portrait orientation (Not sure about this as it was in the last beta release and I haven't worked out what it actually changed)
  • Dictionary language correctly changed and remembered.

calibre
There is an update need in the driver in calibre to bump the supported firmware version for this release. This should be in the next release of calibre. Until then, it is completely safe to use the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. The update to the driver will include changes to allow sideloaded books to be seen in the new Series list. There will also be an update to my Kobo Utilities plugin to add this support.

Update: Calibre version 4.12.0 has been released with the support for this version of the firmware and the Series tab. And the support was added in Kobo Utilities plugin version 2.11.0.

Last edited by davidfor; 03-06-2020 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Added fix for Dictionary language.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote