Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2020, 05:15 AM   #1
kindlefere
Enthusiast
kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlefere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2
A way to recover PW3 & PW4 jailbreak without recent hotfix

I have a PW3 and a PW4, and I successfully jailbroke them before, but after upgrading to 5.12.2 firmware, the ;log command can not be run anymore.

I did not install the recent jailbreak hotfix, so I can not recover the ;log command by steps provided in this post. Afterwards I upgraded the Kindle firmware version to 5.12.3.

Yesterday I upgraded the PW4 to 5.12.4 and found the ;log command got recovered accidently.

I will share my experience here, and hope to help those who want to recover the ;log command but have no recent hotfix installed.
  1. Copy the new firmware and emergency.sh together into the root directory of Kindle;
  2. Upgrade the firmware via Kindle's menu button (Menu->Settings->Restart);
  3. After the restart is complete, you will see following three files in the root directory of Kindle:
    • done_emergency.sh
    • old_debug_cmds.json
    • new_debug_cmds.json
  4. Restart your Kindle again, and now you can run ;log command as normal.

In order to verify whether it is a coincidence, I tested using another PW3 with same steps and got the same result.

I do not know why it works, but it does work.
kindlefere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:28 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Thanks for sharing.
It may be useful for PW3 owners (as PW4 is jailbreakable on any firmware).

Last edited by hius07; 02-22-2020 at 05:32 AM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Spoiler alert: I have a slight hunch that a simple restart would actually fix most issues automagically. (Because, once again, the procedure highlighted above makes no goddamn sense).

More info next week after @Junket's tests .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Roker2
PW->PW3
Roker2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 1/3
Interesting. I have PW3 and I updated it to 5.12.3 without hotfix. I can test it too.
Roker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
RnJ4
RnJ4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Interesting!My PW3 has updated via OTA to 5.12.2 and lost jailbreak(installed old hotfix). The emengercy.sh didn't work at that verison.However, seeing this post, I went to check my device and found it updated to 5.12.3 via OTA and the emengercy.sh was successfully executed and my ;log is back.In my case, I didn't update it manually but my JB is back.What a surprise!

Last edited by RnJ4; 02-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.
RnJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
mrHedgehog
Member Retired
mrHedgehog began at the beginning.

Device: PW4 32GB Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Thanks for sharing.
It may be useful for PW3 owners (as PW4 is jailbreakable on any firmware).
What do you mean that PW4 is jailbreakable on any firmware?
mrHedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #7
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
See post #686 in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...312489&page=46

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote