Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Linux/Windows (dual boot) using same Calibre db?

Is it safe to use and update the same Calibre Library from a dual boot system. Sometimes from Windows and sometimes from Linux (but never the same time of course). Calibre versions would be kept the same (I assume there would be cases I may forget and there would be one version between for a short period of time).

The library would be on ntfs, local disk.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre versions shouldn't pose a problem, the core data base is very stable, caveat: some plugins add tables to the database - you'd want to keep them in synch too.

Hopefully using NTFS should avoid file system rule differences - e.g. case sensitivty, non ascii names, path lengths etc - I would do some testing to make sure.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would stick with only running Calibre under Windows as that's where it works best and you don't have to worry about permissions and case issues since Linux is case sensitive and Windows is not.

So you could end up creating multiple directories because of different case in Linux and then have an issue with Windows because of this. So stick with just Windows and do not run Calibre in Linux.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 AM   #4
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks BR, hopefully Kovid will chime in if their is something else that could corrupt or make problems.

John, I understand you position. I'm a linux user and have happily been using Calibre on linux for many years. I'm also having a Windows instance, and it would be nice to have the same library, since it's on the same computer anyway. (And the lib is too large to keep synching with a master copy, which would be easy if the lib was small.)

If no one gives a technical reason not to do it, I'll probably go ahead and do it and see what happens. (I got backup.)
Old 02-19-2020, 04:02 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
path length limits are enforced on windows not linux, so you can end up with files that are inaccessible on windows. And you have to make sure the NTFS volume is mounted case-insensitively on linux.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2020, 04:03 AM   #6
patrik
Guru

OK, thanks.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:37 AM   #7
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Using a calibre library varying from Linux and Windows may, because of the differences between the filesystems mentioned above, lead to silent corruption of the calibre library.

You update metadata and add new books and things look fine for months. But slowly book formats are orphaned in folders that look, but are not, identical to another folder. I've been there.

One possible fix is to move all the books to another library. And then manually move the books left orphaned and abandoned.

This problem was one reason (not the only) why I stopped using Windows at home. Now, for some years, I have only used Linux (and some Android) at home.

Apart from poor sleep, some twitching and extreme sensitivity to penguins, I have not had any pr

Last edited by Adoby; 02-19-2020 at 04:42 AM. Reason: Full disclosure...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:26 PM   #8
PTrenholme
PTrenholme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX
I've been doing it for years without significant problems. Even with libraries on USB drives, or on various servers. In fact, my main library is on a server on my local network, and mountable from any system that can run Calibre. (Well, perhaps not any system. Is there an Android version of Calibre available? Now that 1Tb microSD chips are "a thing," any "no space for a full Android Calibre" seems moot.)
PTrenholme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2022, 10:40 PM   #9
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
I will only be using windows for KFX conversion, so is seems it should be ok to do it?
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 12:24 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandulf View Post
I will only be using windows for KFX conversion, so is seems it should be ok to do it?
You should be able to get away with that. One of my co-workers has his main library on Linux and a Windows VM which he uses for creating KFX for his Kindles. However he is not sharing the entire library, the books imported into his Linux calibre instance, metadata & editing are done and then they are saved to disk. On the Windows VM, they are imported into calibre and re-saved to disk after conversion.

Originally, he did share the entire library but after a bad experience with, I suspect, case sensitivity issues corrupting his library, he went with his current setup.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 04:00 AM   #11
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Thx, won't risk entire library so will creating a blank new library that is shared and after conversion to KFX then copied to my full library. Or is that still a risk?
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:55 AM   #12
rantanplan
Weirdo
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Shine Color, Tolino Vision 6, Kobo Clara 2E, Boox Note Air 2+
I recommend putting the library on a BTRFS disk. The NTFS driver for Linux is not as fast as the https://github.com/maharmstone/btrfs driver for Windows.

I've been using a similar setup for my Steam library, I install all my games on a shared library and can access the BTRFS drive from both systems. No problem at all.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:22 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Thx, won't risk entire library so will creating a blank new library that is shared and after conversion to KFX then copied to my full library. Or is that still a risk?
It might be a risk to that shared library but I suspect a minimal risk.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IIRC there may be filename CASE issues if you add in Linux. Linux will not found have issues.

The other thing I ran into dual booting is TIME. Win sets Clock time into the clock. Linux does UTC and uses TZ to display time

There are Registry tweaks for both
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #15
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
My recommendation is not to do dual boot but set up a Windows VM. You can set up shared folders that can be access by both you Linux OS and your Windows VM. E.G. you set up a shared folder that is Your Windows calibre auto load folder. Then just use Save to Disk from your Linux calibre to export the Ebook you want to be in KFX. Then you open you windows VM open calibre your ebook is auto imported, run convert, then use Save to Disk to export your KFX formatted ebook to a shared folder--do not use your auto load folder--then just click back to your Linux calibre and drag and drop your kfx back your book detailsl panel with the original format.

This was my solution for Kindle and ADE until last November.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote