Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 12:18 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Mini to 4.19.14123?

I believe that I've read that the generic Mark 4 firmware will work on the Mini, but I can't find confirmation. Taking into account that I understand that there could be a risk, can I update my Kobo Mini to 4.19.14123 using the generic Mark 4 software?

I'm sure someone said it could be done, but I can't find the confirmation. (And I've been wrong before about things I was "sure about.")
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
So far, every firmware that has been released for the Glo has worked on the Mini. Usually, someone asks the question about the Mini in the release thread a couple of days after the release, and a little while later someone responds with a "yes". You look to be the "asker".

I would expect it to work. There is no reason to think that Kobo will have changed the build. And I think if they removed all the support, the people doing the patches would have noticed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #3
JaBu
JaBu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Mini
I have the previous firmware running on a mini with no problems. Never had any mini-specific-problems with any of the "unofficial" firmware in the past.
In a few hours I can tell you if it will run.
JaBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:09 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that current firmware works on the Mini, why is it that Kobo doesn't officially release it for the Mini?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
JaBu

Really good question - I'm using unsupported firmware for years on my mini and never had any device-dependent issues. The scaling of the UI is fine, battery time is fine too. I'm not sure what's their intention. I can't see any reasons not to run a newer than supported firmware.
Advert
Old 12-14-2019, 06:23 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
So far, every firmware that has been released for the Glo has worked on the Mini. Usually, someone asks the question about the Mini in the release thread a couple of days after the release, and a little while later someone responds with a "yes". You look to be the "asker".

I would expect it to work. There is no reason to think that Kobo will have changed the build. And I think if they removed all the support, the people doing the patches would have noticed.
Thank you. I'm glad I asked the question as I was going to use JSWolf's generic Mark 4 firmware instead of the Kobo Glo firmware (I don't know if it makes any difference.)

The update went fine, but all my KePubs came back with a "Oops! Can't open this book. Check you file..." (or something like that). Side-loaded ePubs were fine. But I think the issue was there before as one of the books I recently bought from Kobo came up with that error before the update. (I thought it was a limitation of the Mini.) At any rate, thanks to MobileRead and Google search, I found that logging out and back in to your account can fix that... and it did.

The book I borrowed with the Aura Edition 2 from Overdrive showed up fine after signing out and signing back in. Before the sign out/sign in, these books would show up when syncing and then disappear afterwards. (So it may have been doing this before the update and I just didn't see it.) I like the KePub full page view better than the old patched firmware, so I think this is going to work out well.

Thank you.

(Just realized, this let me set up via WiFi after signing out. I thought the Mini wouldn't do that any more?)
Old 12-14-2019, 06:41 AM   #7
JaBu

I currently updated my mini to the newest firmware. On the first look, everything seems working as expected.

Most of my book are sideloaded kepubs, I only have very few regular epubs on my reader, but every of them is loading without problems.
I think the problem with your epubs isn't firmware specific.

WiFi ... don't know what you're talking about. I once set it up but never use it. It's working - when I enable WiFI login to my router runs fine and I can access the store. So I never thought about it.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBu View Post
I think the problem with your epubs isn't firmware specific.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBu View Post
WiFi ... don't know what you're talking about. I once set it up but never use it. It's working - when I enable WiFI login to my router runs fine and I can access the store. So I never thought about it.
I may have misunderstood, but I thought the Mini wasn't going to be able to work on the Store or be setup via WiFi (because of decision last spring about older Kobos). But I guess I was confused?

Pretty easy to get confused when reading Kobo's February 28, 2019 post...

Quote:
What does this mean for my Kobo Mini?

You'll need to install the mandatory update on February 28th, 2019 to continue to:

Buy eBooks on your Kobo Mini

Sync your Kobo Mini through WiFi and Kobo Desktop to get your latest book purchases

If you don't install the mandatory update, your Kobo Mini won't connect to Kobo servers. This means that you won't be able to add new eBooks to your Kobo eReader with Wi Fi or Kobo Desktop.

Is this the last software update for Kobo Mini?

As of February 28th, 2019, the Mini will no longer be supported by Rakuten Kobo. This means it will no longer receive software updates, and will not be able to connect to the Kobo Store.

Kobo Mini requires a mandatory software update by February 28th, 2019.

To stay aligned with global internet security standards, we are releasing a mandatory software update for all Kobo Mini eReaders. Without this update, the Kobo Mini will no longer be able to exit the setup process after a factory reset is performed.
I guess what they meant is if you don't update you won't be able to use the Store. But this is about as clear as mud.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
(Just realized, this let me set up via WiFi after signing out. I thought the Mini wouldn't do that any more?)
It isn't the device that is the problem with WiFi, it is the firmware version. So long as you are on firmware 3.19.x or later, the WiFi will work. The problem is that if you need to do the full factory reset, it will probably set the device back to 2.0. That cannot connect to WiFi.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
It isn't the device that is the problem with WiFi, it is the firmware version. So long as you are on firmware 3.19.x or later, the WiFi will work. The problem is that if you need to do the full factory reset, it will probably set the device back to 2.0. That cannot connect to WiFi.
Okay. Now I understand. Thanks. So, if I ever run into another Kobo Mini that needs to be updated, just update it, don't reset it.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay. Now I understand. Thanks. So, if I ever run into another Kobo Mini that needs to be updated, just update it, don't reset it.
If you need to reset it, you can manually install the firmware.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
If you need to reset it, you can manually install the firmware.
Okay, thanks. Sorry I'm so slow in the uptake this morning.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:03 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you. I'm glad I asked the question as I was going to use JSWolf's generic Mark 4 firmware instead of the Kobo Glo firmware (I don't know if it makes any difference.)
Makes no difference. The Glo and Mark 4 links are the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #14
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
This firmware version does work on the mini, and so has almost every version since 3.19.5761.

Quote:
And I think if they removed all the support, the people doing the patches would have noticed.
Yes, this is correct. It would be pretty obvious in quite a few of the patches, and I also test the patches on my Mini for each release.

Quote:
The newer minis reset to 3.4.1.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The newer minis reset to 3.4.1.
I'm surprised at that. I was thinking that Kobo had stopped making the Mini by that time. But, the 3.4.1 thread has it as a Mini only firmware. Maybe it was used for the last batch or something.