Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #1
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Clara HD vs Kindle Oasis & Voyage

Hi all
My quest for the right reader for me is continuing now that I've sold my Oasis 3.

For those that have experience with a Clara HD and a Kindle Voyage (and/or other Kindles)...

What am I going to think of the screen clarity, sharpness & contrast of text and general quality of the visual experience when comparing a Clara HD against the Voyage in particular?

Thank you for any and all thoughts.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 AM   #2
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Hi all
My quest for the right reader for me is continuing now that I've sold my Oasis 3.

For those that have experience with a Clara HD and a Kindle Voyage (and/or other Kindles)...

What am I going to think of the screen clarity, sharpness & contrast of text and general quality of the visual experience when comparing a Clara HD against the Voyage in particular?

Thank you for any and all thoughts.
hey. just got my Clara today and so far I love it. I had to return my Oasis due to buggy hardware and I am surprised at how great the Clara is. I didn't care for the Voyage and returned it so I can't compare those two.

I prefer the form factor of the Clara over the Oasis. screen lighting is even and as nice as the Oasis, plenty of brightness, very adjustable and has the same type night lighting. you can also do night mode if you like, and I do. I think it's very sharp and clear, but there are also adjustments that can be made to line weight and size. if you're not happy with loaded fonts you can side load fonts. if the battery dies it can be swapped. if you want to swap your SD for a larger one you can. there seem to be a zillion tweaks available, called patches, so you can pretty much adjust what you want.

I sent over one book initially after conversion to epub and it worked perfectly so I sent the rest. the touch is snappy and pages turn about as fast as the Oasis. books look great while reading and you can customize header and footer via patches, and some aspects are already in the latest fw, as I understand it.

one of the best things for me is that the battery is far more robust than current gens of Kindle.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 02:44 AM   #3
bookyboy
Addict
bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookyboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Great details and information @pghaworth, thank you!

I’m going to give one a shot.

Ordered from Walmart so I can return it if not happy with it.
Should come early next week it looks like.
bookyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookyboy View Post
Great details and information @pghaworth, thank you!

I’m going to give one a shot.

Ordered from Walmart so I can return it if not happy with it.
Should come early next week it looks like.
you're welcome. congrats.

you will want to change the affiliate perhaps so you don't have a walmart screen saver and are not tracked by them. to do that you edit the affiliate.conf file in the .kobo folder.

you can change it to nonsense to protect your privacy and to enable book cover screen savers or you can switch it to kobo so you can enable book cover screen savers but no privacy protection from kobo. mine came with kobo and I changed it. there are others, but those are the ones I know that do different things. once you decide if you want book covers there's a setting you tick.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:10 AM   #5
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

oh, and if you like and use collections, I can only find how to show them in a list, not like a cover display, which I find disappointing
Advert
Old 12-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #6
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
oh, and if you like and use collections, I can only find how to show them in a list, not like a cover display, which I find disappointing
Yes, that's one thing I'm quite disappointed about.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:23 AM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Here's what I see on my H202, running the latest firmware, the same as you have on your Clara, I think?

I just realised that it's possible this is a rare instance of the H202's extra 0.8 inches making a difference. I didn't have my Clara long enough to try this on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coverview.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	175536   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191212_212234.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	519.4 KB
ID:	175537  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 12-12-2019 at 03:29 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:21 AM   #8
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Here's what I see on my H202, running the latest firmware, the same as you have on your Clara, I think?

I just realised that it's possible this is a rare instance of the H202's extra 0.8 inches making a difference. I didn't have my Clara long enough to try this on it.
thank you. isn't that inside a collection? I'm talking about the main collection interface.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 AM   #9
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I double checked and all I can do on the main collection page is sort or create a new one
Old 12-12-2019, 04:40 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I double checked and all I can do on the main collection page is sort or create a new one
My apologies, I misunderstood. Perhaps suggest it in the "kobopatch request" thread?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:46 AM   #11
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
My apologies, I misunderstood. Perhaps suggest it in the "kobopatch request" thread?
that's a great idea. thanks. and no need to apologize. fault may have been mine.

I don't want an image on the collections, but just a different display of the collections.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:47 AM   #12
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAura View Post
Yes, that's one thing I'm quite disappointed about.
me too
Old 12-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
that's a great idea. thanks. and no need to apologize. fault may have been mine.

I don't want an image on the collections, but just a different display of the collections.
The collection list and the authors list are only text lists. If you don't want an image displayed, then I don't know what the point would be.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #14
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
do you mean you want to be able to see/show more than one collection on the homescreen?

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
do you mean you want to be able to see/show more than one collection on the homescreen?

best wishes koboy
see them going across the screen like book covers instead of a list going down screen. like Kindles do it, for instance