Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Based on my needs, what would you recommend
Kobo Clara HD 14 45.16%
Kobo Libra h20 13 41.94%
Kindle Oasis 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
TJB4916
TJB4916 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Time to upgrade! Stay with kobo, or switch to kindle advice

Hello all, new here as I didnt know this forum existed until today.

I've been using a Kobo glo off and on for many years and I'm about to finally upgrade to a different device. Im really torn as to which way to go.

Im in Canada, so I know that alot of the features kindle has are rendered useless north of the border.

My main reasons for upgrading are warm lighting, maybe a larger screen and marrying into one of these ecosystems long term.

The 3 devices on my lost are either the Clara HD, Libra h20 or the Kindle Oasis.

I know the Clara is a bulletproof reader and has none of the issues it had before such as light bleed. It also has upgradeable memory

The Libra would get me a larger screen plus all the same features of the Clara m, but I've heard numerous reports about the screen lighting being uneven and that does concern me.

The Oasis looks to be the best reader by far, but then I'd be in the amazon ecosystem. That means no audible and no overdrive functionality.

Can I not download books on overdrive on my pc and transfer them to the Kindle ?

Is converting epub to mobi just as easy as doing the opposite ?

I'd like to have one library in caliber of all the same format so I dont have to bounce between.

I really appreciate any help.

I'm a little indecisive at this point. I dont mind converting books with caliber, and overdrive is quite new to me although I see its benefits.

I'm not worried about manga and pdf.
TJB4916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:05 AM   #2
Tomk2
Groupie
Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Tomk2 is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: none
In the USA, no need for overdrive to borrow an ebook. It goes from the library to Amazon to your kindle with just a few clicks. Most library books in the USA are available in kindle format with no overdrive middle step, amazon does it for you. That is not the same in Canada?

For books purchased from Amazon, there are plug ins for Calibre to remove DRM and convert to mobi or epub. For books without DRM, it is easy to convert your existing library to mobi. Infact, calibre makes it easy to have your library in as many formats as you like, so the books are ready to transfer to whatever device you have.

For me, the fact that Amazon syncs my borrowed books across multiple kindle devices and apps makes it the only way to go. If I only used one device I probably would buy a Nook.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Tomk2; 12-02-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
If you're happy with a 6" screen I would get the Clara, its direct connection to Overdrive is a nice feature as is its warm screen. But it sounds like you may want a 7" screen. (Do they have these on display at Best Buy Canada or Staples?) As for converting ePub to .mobi (or .azw) it's just as easy as going the other way. One advantage of the Kindle is the good Oxford dictionary (if dictionaries are important to you). It's hard to really to suggest one without a little more input about what's important to you.
rcentros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:14 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomk2 View Post
In the USA, no need for overdrive to borrow an ebook. It goes from the library to Amazon to your kindle with just a few clicks. Most library books in the USA are available in kindle format. That is not the same in Canada?
Nope. Kindle and Overdrive only work together in the U.S. And, at my current library anyhow, what's available in ePub is not always available for the Kindle.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 AM   #5
TJB4916

Thanks for the replies.

What's most important to me is good amber backlighting, as I do allt of reading in the dark.

A 7 inch reader would be a bonus as for the bigger screen.
Marrying into the right ecosystem would be a plus.
And also the quality of the e reader.

As far as I've seen, we cannot borrow books from amazon in canada,only purchase. So I've been downloading from amazon, removing DRM and converting to epub, which works quite well.

I actually do not like the kobo book store. Its clunky and the books are always more money.

But that being said, I think the clara trumps the paperwhite in the 6 inch ereader class.

I didnt know that kindles can sync their libraries together. That in itself is super convenient especially if it also carries over books you've converted in calibre as well from device to device.

The libra kinda scares me. It sounds like it's a 50/50 shot as to whether your going to get one with a decent screen and even backlighting.
The clara is a no brainer, and I'm just totally in love with the build quality of the oasis.

I only plan to read books. Nothing else really. I wont even be using audible. Overdrive, maybe if I find a local library with good selection.

I guess since I've never owned a kindle, I'm kinda intrigued to try one. I know that the book store is easy to work with right on the kindle itself, as where kobo I always use their app or pc.

Sorry, but I'm probably just being anal haha I've just been with kobo for so long I kinda dont want to switch, although sometimes change is a good thing.
Advert
Old 12-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJB4916 View Post
My main reasons for upgrading are warm lighting, maybe a larger screen and marrying into one of these ecosystems long term.

The 3 devices on my lost are either the Clara HD, Libra h20 or the Kindle Oasis.
[...]
The Libra would get me a larger screen plus all the same features of the Clara, but I've heard numerous reports about the screen lighting being uneven and that does concern me.
As noted, there's no Overdrive-Kindle borrowing anywhere outside of the USA, so the Overdrive integration is a huge point in favour of Kobo if you borrow library ebooks. Conversion from epub-azw3 is a piece of cake, so long as there's no DRM. And I'm guessing you know how to remove that, which makes you platform-independent apart from library books, not "locked in" to anything at all. There's no need to buy at the Kobo book store just because you have a Kobo device.

If some uneven lighting reports are the only thing holding you back from the Libra, are you able to inspect a device in store in person before buying (or buy then inspect immediately and return if not satisfactory)? That might be an approach that gets you everything you want.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:52 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Clara would be a good choice. Although I much prefer the Oasis screen and form factor. Really prefer it. I have no direct experience with the Libra but would share your concerns about the possibly uneven lighting. Try to look at a Libra in person. Or order from a vendor that will let you return it easily.

You can do audible in Canada if you setup a US account which is easily done. Ditto for Overdrive although that involves jumping through more hoops. AFAIK Overdrive doesn't support Kindle devices in Canada.

Alternately you could put your Canadian Overdrive books on your PC but you'd typically have to remove the DRM before they'd be read on a Kindle. Then sideload (transfer by USB) the books to your Kindle.

Converting epub to mobi is easy enough. To read epub directly on a Kindle you'd need to jailbreak it and that is only possible if the Kindle has an older firmware version on it.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:01 AM   #8
TJB4916

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
As noted, there's no Overdrive-Kindle borrowing anywhere outside of the USA, so the Overdrive integration is a huge point in favour of Kobo if you borrow library ebooks. Conversion from epub-azw3 is a piece of cake, so long as there's no DRM. And I'm guessing you know how to remove that, which makes you platform-independent apart from library books, not "locked in" to anything at all. There's no need to buy at the Kobo book store just because you have a Kobo device.

If some uneven lighting reports are the only thing holding you back from the Libra, are you able to inspect a device in store in person before buying (or buy then inspect immediately and return if not satisfactory)? That might be an approach that gets you everything you want.

You know meeera, your absolutely right. I was kind of thinking about that earlier on into he sense that as long ad you can convert with caliber, your really not married to any ecosystem. So basically your just purchasing the reader you like best and continue to buy books from whoever you please.

I dont know why, but in my nearest city, the stores took all the displays away. So theres no place I can go to see a demo unit. Although I could see if they would let me open one up to check it out and see.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Oasis, but I started thinking if I was ok travelling with an expensive ereader when a small one worth less would be suffice. I still may purchase a Clara as a backup and travel reader as it's small and portable.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
I dont know why, but in my nearest city, the stores took all the displays away. So theres no place I can go to see a demo unit. Although I could see if they would let me open one up to check it out and see.
That's what I'm planning to do if I decide to get a Forma - just warn them "I want to view the lighting before I commit to the purchase - if that means I need to pay first then return the device if the lighting doesn't meet my needs, that's fine".

Take a large dark hoodie or sweater so you can exclude light to see the lighting properly
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I guess since I've never owned a kindle, I'm kinda intrigued to try one. I know that the book store is easy to work with right on the kindle itself, as where kobo I always use their app or pc.
I just picked up the 4 book Rain Wild Chronicles set by Robin Hobb, buying directly from my Kobo Aura HD (the set was on sale for $2.99, normally about $15). So, while I agree that the Amazon bookstore is better (with more choices) I don't know quite understand why you didn't (don't) buy directly from your Kobo.

EDIT: Lord of the Rings in one volume is also on sale for $2.99. I guess they have the same prices at Amazon and probably B&N.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-02-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #11
TJB4916

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just picked up the 4 book Rain Wild Chronicles set by Robin Hobb, buying directly from my Kobo Aura HD (the set was on sale for $2.99, normally about $15). So, while I agree that the Amazon bookstore is better (with more choices) I don't know quite understand why you didn't (don't) buy directly from your Kobo.

Using the kobo bookstore on the reader itself is painstaking. But I'm also using a ten year old unit, so I dont know if its changed. It's slow and extremely clunky so navigating it is time consuming.

Also I find a huge portion of the time, Amazon's price is cheaper than kobos. Yesterday I was looking at a book that was 12 bucks on amazon, 16.95 on kobo.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:12 AM   #12
HolyAura
Groupie
HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HolyAura ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Using the kobo bookstore on the reader itself is painstaking. But I'm also using a ten year old unit, so I dont know if its changed. It's slow and extremely clunky so navigating it is time consuming.

Also I find a huge portion of the time, Amazon's price is cheaper than kobos. Yesterday I was looking at a book that was 12 bucks on amazon, 16.95 on kobo.
I recently switched from a Kobo Touch 2.0 to a Clara about 3 months ago. The Kobo Store and typing is definitely much faster on the Clara than on the Touch 2.0. It looks like you travel quite a lot. In that case, I suggest you get a Clara. The amber lighting is perfect.
HolyAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If money is not an issue, I would recommend getting the Oasis for home and the Clara for travel. I love my Libra, but the lighting is certainly uneven and I can't really recommend it for reading in the dark.

A warning, though. The Oasis has a rather cold metal back and it bothers many people, as it can be uncomfortable to hold. That issue is easily solved by using a case or a skin.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
You know meeera, your absolutely right. I was kind of thinking about that earlier on into he sense that as long ad you can convert with caliber, your really not married to any ecosystem. So basically your just purchasing the reader you like best and continue to buy books from whoever you please.
I've always treated my Kobos and Kindles the same way. Buy a book, remove DRM with Calibre, convert to either epub or mobi, then sideload the books onto my Kobo/Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
A warning, though. The Oasis has a rather cold metal back and it bothers many people, as it can be uncomfortable to hold. That issue is easily solved by using a case or a skin.
I've been reading on my Oasis for 2 months now and now that it's getting colder the back of the Oasis gets colder too. It's a lovely device, but my hand is freezing when I'm reading. That's why I'm mostly reading on my Kindle Voyage right now.

Last edited by SusanReads; 12-02-2019 at 06:00 AM.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
I've always treated my Kobos and Kindles the same way. Buy a book, remove DRM with Calibre, convert to either epub or mobi, then sideload the books onto my Kobo/Kindle.
Yeah, same here, and my Nook gets the same treatment. While I do buy books from both Amazon and Kobo (B&N is effectively closed to anyone outside the US), I don't download them directly to the device. The main reason for this being that I want to adjust the formatting and metadata according to my preferences.

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-02-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote