Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 03:54 AM   #1
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
What to do (more) with a Kindle PW4 with ads? Calibre-Sideload only.

So, I have two Kindles.
One older without background illumination but jailbeakable. And paperwhite 4 with ads I got during Black Friday week.

The Paperwhite is not jailbreakable - currently. I did not OTA it, I did not register it. I skipped Wifi and registration and put it into flight mode. I solely use Calibre to copy books as they are getting converted. By that I have no collections and I have seen no ads so far.

What should I do to get more out of it?
Should I just leave it like that and use Calibre to copy everything? Or can or should I do something more to gain some functionality? Collections perhaps? But I read Calibre could only do collections on a jailbroken Kindle.

So what am I missing?
Calibre Collections. Book Covers - are useless because of the case which wakes the device on opening. Anything else?

BTW: How should an ad look like? I have not seen one, is it because the Kindle was not on Wifi yet?

Last edited by lordofazeroth; 11-30-2019 at 03:59 AM.
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:01 AM   #2
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Ads show up on the screensaver and AFAIK won't start until after you register your Paperwhite 4. So probably no ads for you yet.

While I am a fan of jailbreaks, you can do 99% of things on a stock Kindle. What you can't do are proper collections, native epub format books, custom screensavers, battery tweaks and the like. And using wi-fi might be inadvisable if you don't want your PW4 firmware to automatically update.

In your place I'd leave the PW4 in airplane mode - your best protection against an unwanted update. The older your firmware, the more more likely it is that a new jailbreak will be found for it. Sideload your books i.e. transfer them from Calibre via USB and enjoy reading them on your new Paperwhite.

If your firmware version is < 5.12.x then creating a root directory folder on your PW4 named update.bin.tmp.partial before turning wi-fi back on will probably block an unwanted, automatic OTA firmware update. If your firmware is newer than that you'll need to look into more creative methods to block updates or simply leave it in airplane mode for now.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 03:22 AM   #3
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You don't have to have ads on your kindle. Did you buy the cheaper option "with ads"? If so, you can get these removed by paying - I think it's about £20 - to Amazon.

My PW has only been off aeroplane mode once, a few years after I bought it, when I registered it to get Collections and to update the firmware for custom fonts. I did this at a friend's house - I don't have wifi.

But I do appreciate the Collections ability and playing with different fonts. I use Calibre to convert everything to azw3 which enables use of custom fonts.

Why not register it and remove the ads? Then keep it off wifi to avoid unwanted updates? You'll have Collections.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 03:48 AM   #4
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
You don't have to have ads on your kindle. Did you buy the cheaper option "with ads"? If so, you can get these removed by paying - I think it's about £20 - to Amazon.

My PW has only been off aeroplane mode once, a few years after I bought it, when I registered it to get Collections and to update the firmware for custom fonts. I did this at a friend's house - I don't have wifi.

But I do appreciate the Collections ability and playing with different fonts. I use Calibre to convert everything to azw3 which enables use of custom fonts.

Why not register it and remove the ads? Then keep it off wifi to avoid unwanted updates? You'll have Collections.
I bought it with ads. Currently I see none, apparently because I did not register it. So why should I register it in the first place, then pay 20 currency to amazon just to get rid of ads? The only thing missing would be collections...
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:31 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Registering gives you collections, and also gives u you mandatory adds.
Removing adds , keeping collections, then costs £20 .
not looking at adds, keeping collections, costs nothing.

it is easy to ignore adds because they never interrupt the reading experince

your life, your choice, but their rules
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

It was 20 dollars to Amazon the last time I got rid of ads from mine. The conversion rate (today) would make that more expensive if it is at about 20 pounds.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
it may only be £10 Uk - I quoted what a previous poster has said without independently checking
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
It was 20 dollars to Amazon the last time I got rid of ads from mine. The conversion rate (today) would make that more expensive if it is at about 20 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
it may only be £10 Uk - I quoted what a previous poster has said without independently checking
I don't know about ad removal, but for a variety of reasons, prices for some items in the UK are often 1 pound per US dollar for the same thing.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I don't know about ad removal, but for a variety of reasons, prices for some items in the UK are often 1 pound per US dollar for the same thing.
In fairness, I think you guys have 20% VAT already tacked on to advertised prices.

We have to do the math ourselves (and it can even vary from city to city).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I bought my kindle paperwhite without ads, so this wasn't an issue for me. I'm just quoting what I've heard. If it's $20, then the conversion rate would probably make it approx £17. As has been mentioned, we also have all sorts of horrible taxes which would probably bring that to around £20.
But this is very approximate. Point being, it won't rob the bank.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote