Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Sigil won't open properly

I have Sigil installed on a Windows 8 PC.

Sigil has worked properly for many years.

The problem now is that it won't open satisfactorily. If I click on the desktop link for Sigil I get an error :

Error info: /OEBPS/content.opf: The system cannot find the path specified.
Sigil version: 0.9.18
Runtime Qt: 5.12.3
Compiled Qt: 5.12.3
System: Windows 8.1 (6.3)
Architecture: x86_64

If I hit the close button nothing happens - back to a clean desktop.

However if I go into Calibre and try to use the "Open With Sigil" on an Epub file then I get a similar message -

Error info: Cannot load file C:\Users\BobC\Documents\CalibreWork\Thomas Ussher\Napoleon Banished (1839)\Napoleon Banished - Thomas Ussher.epub: /OEBPS/content.opf: The system cannot find the path specified.
Sigil version: 0.9.18
Runtime Qt: 5.12.3
Compiled Qt: 5.12.3
System: Windows 8.1 (6.3)
Architecture: x86_64

but now if I click the close button Sigil starts with an empty book.

At this point I can get Sigil to open an Epub file and work on it with no observed issue.

The same happens if I use my file manager to select an EPUB and use right click and "Open With" to open it with Sigil.

I have uninstalled Sigil and re-installed V0.9.13 and hit the same problem.

Any ideas would be welcome.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
I think that epub has an incorrect opf manifest path in its META-INF/container.xml file OR
you do not have a defined Temp directory set or proper write permissions to it.

One thing to try is to rename the sigil.ini file in your preferences location to something else and then let Sigil try again to startup from an empty sigil.ini file.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
The problem can't be related to the manifest path as it happens with all EPUBS , some of which I have used before with Sigil.

The temp directory issue seemed a good possibility. I deleted the sigil.ini file and it got recreated. The temp directory path in it was empty so I edited the .ini file and pointed it to a suitable empty directory. That seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for speedy reply and pointer to the solution.

I wonder how it got messed up and survived a complete uninstall and re-install.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I deleted the sigil.ini file and it got recreated. The temp directory path in it was empty so I edited the .ini file and pointed it to a suitable empty directory. That seems to have done the trick.
The temp path on a default ini only looks empty. There's some placeholder text in there, but the standard Windows temp directory is used by default. There was probably no need to customize it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote